HDTV -> Computer -> DVD

Okay.
I have an Explorer 8300HD DVR box from Time Warner.
I went to Time Warner.
I had nothing better to do.
Had some questions to ask
Figured I’d ask some more questions, yay!
She said the only box that we can use, is the one Time Warner gives out.
We can’t buy one off ebay or whatever, and have them set it up so we can use that… and avoid the $10/month fee per DVR [we have 3 DVRs in our house right now]

Then I was like okay… fine…
Can we expand the storage? blah blah. [I know you can do this one, I just wanted to see what she would say]
No, there’s no way.

Blah blah. So I ask if I’m stuck with only being able to record 20 hours of HD programming?.. Then she says no, you can record 120 hours.
She didn’t understand the difference between SD and HD?
I know it’s a desk job… but still… Some things should be known -.-

Okay.
/endrant before I made myself out to be any more of an ass.

So.

I have this DVR box.
I’m going to purchase… Say…

Something like this.

Hook that up to my computer, easy enough.
Now that can record to divx and all that crap, according to newegg’s Specs.

So I use the Coax out from the DVR, to the Input on the tuner card I assume?

Then using video editing software, I can take care of the crap on my computer?

Then, I can put that to DVD after it’s to my liking, am I correct?

Does anyone know if a DVD player with Upconvert will then take that DVD that was burned, then make it a better picture quality?

I’m just trying to figure out the best way to do this.

Because TW are ghey.

So I can transfer it to the computer, [storage on the computer is not a problem, I’m pushing 1TB as is, and… 80% free… I’d probably set up a raid array or something with more drives if this actually works to my liking]
Edit, then Burn to DVD.
Delete from computer.
Watch whenever I please.

Problems?
Thoughts?
Suggestions?

Oh, and does anyone know if the Xbox HD DVD player upconverts?
Nobody seems to know an answer to that one -.-
I’m thinking no… Since it doesn’t say it.
But the PS3 Upconverts, but the PS3 doesn’t list it in features online…

with direct tv u can use a esata cable and i think its called a esata drive to expand your recording space. however when u plug this drive in the dvr reformats the drive. however it will reformat when you install the drive on the computer.

Just wanted to say…I dont want to read that. Good luck with whatever it is.

yeah, I heard that it also encodes it or something.
So you can’t just transfer it off and play movies.

In the past there was no way around renting TW boxes… Just recently you can buy any box that uses a cablecard, but you still need to rent the cablecard from TW…

8300hd’s are 90 hours SD 20 hours HD, 8300hd’s can be expanded, i’m not sure if buffalo TW has that disabled or not… Maybe Ryan knows.

ex
http://www.weaknees.com/maxtor-quickview-expander-qvx.php

you can actually connect the box to your pc over firewire and record the shit directly to your hdd in your pc. It however, will not allow you to transfer material that has already been recorded to the hdd on the box.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=403695

I don’t know if that firewire port is active on buffalo’s 8300HDs FYI.

its worth a shot

first of all, I believe both your video card and monitor needs to be HDCP compliant to even accept the signal (unless the actual box takes care of this… I’m not 100% sure). If not, you can get one of these http://www.hdfury.com

again, you’ll have to research a little on the subject. Just a heads up.

but once you get all that figured out, Just run the DVR to HDCP stripper box to Tuner card and record.

buut be aware that this will more than likely record in an uncompressed format, depending on the tuner card your using. To put this into perspective, an hour long show at standard definition with a PVR150 will use approx 3.5Gb on a nicer quality setting. I can only imagine what a 1080 setting will eat up. You’ll need ALOT of hard drive room if you plan on using it on a regular basis

Then you’ll have to take the time to compress the video to free some room up. Fortunately though, most cards come with software that will do this automatically for you while the computer is idle (even media center can do this). But unless you’re running a dual or quad core… it’s going to take a WHILE per video. It will probably still take a while, even with multiple cores.

There may be easier ways to do this… but afaik, those boxes encrypt anything it records, so even if you can transfer data to/from it… I very highly doubt you’ll be able to do anything with it. Again, it’s something you’ll want to research but the last time I looked into this, I pretty much hit a dead end.

heh, nice… thanks for the heads up :tup:

Yeah, I knew it was 20 Hours HD, since I scheduled a ton of stuff when I first got it.
and it only recorder a couple of shows and said it was out of space. I was like WTF -.-
and yeah, last I knew it was disabled.
But I’ll check it out and try again.

Take a gander here, last 2 pages are relavent.