Head Gasket

Has anyone had to replace a head gasket on a 2003(or close) Pontiac Grand Am with the v6 in it? I heard it’s a common problem so before I delve into helping a friend fix it I figured I’d ask what I’m getting myself into, any suggestions or tips are much appreciated.

3.1? not hard i guess, just dive in

so u do head work

I reserve that kind of work special for you bud.

Anyways as long as it isn’t anything really goofy I should be fine just figured if there were any big thing I needed to know about I’d find out.

make sure head gasket. those are notorious for intake gasket leaks. just a thought

Yeah that’s been replaced recently too this time it’s almost positive for an intake gasket…maybe do both while we’re at it, who knows.

do both

yes. LOWER intake gasket is notorious for leaks. I think they make a metal one now for the 3400. Should definately replace those/both while in there.

Yeah I believe the intake gasket got replaced at one point but if I’m taking it all apart I might as well replace it again to prevent it from happening in the near future…

if you do a head gasket you always change the intake gasket. its stupid to reuse the old one.

have the heads checked