Headlight lens sanding

I have seen a few posts of people that have sanded their headlight lenses out to make them clearer. Could one of you guys pm me, I will pay you to do it on my car. I just know I’ll fuck it up lol. Thanks

It’s not hard at all. Just take them out and wet sand with 2000 grit paper until smooth, then apply a plastic polishing compound such as Meguiar’s Plastic-X or something and buff the shit out of them. As long as you don’t use a rougher grit…they’ll be fine:bigok:

I needed to start with a heavier one on mine to get out the knicks and deep scratches.

Its not hard at all … as stated before … start with 2000 (and see if thats all thats needed) until super smooth. Then use Plastic-X or a metal polish.

They sell a kit to that, comes with everything at NTB.

Its a lot of work but the results can be pretty amazing. Here are the before and after pics of my 208k mile headlights:

I’ll do your headlights if you make it worth my while. :slight_smile:

I buffed GreekPower’s headlights and taillights, wound up taking longer than I expected. He did the hard part (sanding). Not that hard of a thing to do. Sanding is the hardest part.

My R1 headlights look like they are starting to fade a little, I can’t tell if its on the inside or not… Kinda sucks cause my bike is garage kept and only has like 9k miles on it. I may have to do this at some point soon.

Can the “buffing” be done by hand?

if its real minor i used meguiers and a rag on my grand am. got about 90% of it out. just like buffing out a spot in your paint except you dont have to really worry about fuckin up the surface its pretty durable.

Metal polish also will produce decent results by hand, if the oxidation isn’t bad

go figure

probably did it for free

Hmmm. May have to give this a try.

Wolfgang also sells a kit … Dylan (ZXGTO06) just let me try it out on Lyndsi’s Tiburon, and I was impressed.

Believe it or not the very first thing I always try on headlights is regular white toothpaste. It works like a buffing compound and I’ve had some pretty decent results just buffing by hand with the paste and a rag. Not a substitute for the sanding/buffing procedure on really bad lenses, but works well for mild haze.

just dont buff to long in one spot if you are using a power buffer or you can heat the plastic and it will melt or distort.

You would have to basically get drunk, and pass out on that spot all night long. There going to get hotter from the heat of the lights themselves, then a buffer. Unless your using a Binford 7200 Nitro Buffer

(insert grunt here)