headlight wiring and windshield wiper drama.

Hey guys I got 2 electrical issues right now. The car is a 93 s13 coupe with a s13 sr20

A. My headlight is not working.

Backdrop:
-the bulb is fine
-fuses are good
-dtrl’s work
-the drivers side gets power and works but the passenger side does not :frowning:

Put a multimeter on the headlight wire and I think its not getting power. Does anyone know where the power comes from etc how can I fix this :frowning:

B. My windshield wipers don’t retract on their own to the bottom of the windshield. Also the lowest setting does not work.

Backdrop:
-checked fuses
-tried a new timign control unit (tcu)

any help would be awesome, I’m not good at trouble shooting electrical shit. :slight_smile:

thanks

i can tell you the wipers not retracting to the bottom might be because of missing bolts on the wiper motor

check that.

as for the lowest setting not working…do you mean low speed or intermittent? maybe the switch is bad? im sure you have 20,000 switches to try replacing it with. start with that.

headlights… well power comes down those thicker (14ga or so?) wires that end in that 3-prong plug. one for common ground, one for low beam, one for high beam

did you check your broken headlight for low AND high beam operation? is it a sealed beam or an H4 conversion?

I’ll check the wiper tips.

I’ll double check the 3 prong plug. I had a brand new normal sealed beam, high and low don’t work. now its silvia front but same deal.

BRB

update swapped wiper switch on the steering column. didnt fix it.

double checked the 3 prong plug and it has power and two grounds…

and now its raining :frowning:

not meaning to intrude jus reading the thread, are the switches on the column easy to swap? someone told me i would have to swap a whole new column to fix my hi low switch as my high beams arent working when i flick the switch forward or backward they dont turn on at all. all other lights work fine jus no highbeams. jus wondering on switch swappage as s13junkyard said he jus swapped one.

sry jus curious if this is a task anyone could preform with basic tools.

Tyler

i swapped the wiper switch it was easy it was only held in by 2 phillips screws, im sure the headlight switch is the same

check the socetwhich the headlight bulb sits in… mine were a little wonky for a bit, turned out to be green corrosion in the socket not letting power to the bulb

avery you still didnt specify if its the intermittent setting or the lo-speed setting that doesnt work

if replacing the switch didnt fix it… and replacing the timing control unit didnt fix it… then maybe your wiper amp is screwy

theres nothing else that controls the wipers!

did you check the wiper motor for all 4 bolts?

checked them, they are minty

low speed, I’m going to check the boltys.

Also I went over the wiring again on the headlight and the headlight is only getting .22 volts instead of 12.00…whatever volts.

What could be causing that?

Avery what year is this car? I had the problem with the wipers on my first 90 hatch, wouldn’t do intermittent and wouldn’t park the wipers. I found the wires that come off that little green box in the engine bay behind the strut towers had rubbed through where it goes into the fender well. Its hard to explain, but find that green box and trace the wires down until they go through a triangular opening. Check the harness there.

As for the headlights, I had that problem on my 89 hatch and this ended up fixing it.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=280461

Hope this helps!

Don’t lie Mike! There’s a seperate relay/box in the engine bay behind the strut towers that has some stuff with the wipers in it. Depending on the year its on the pass/drivers side.

I can’t see it clicking like a relay when the wipers are used if it didn’t have any role

the car is a 1993

ooo im gonna go check that box!!!

uhhh… yea…

“if replacing the switch didnt fix it… and replacing the timing control unit didnt fix it… then maybe your wiper amp is screwy

and the location is not dependent on the year, it’s dependent on whether or not the car has ABS :wink: