headlights not going up and down

hey guys i’m hoping someone can help me out here

i just got my 1st 240 and the passenger side headlight isnt going up or down no matter how many time i press the button
i just put a new one in and plugged everything in to where it should be
so any suggestions as to why they refuse to work would be awesome
thanks guys

headlight motor is prolly toast

Welcome to owning a car with pop up headlights. Just manually crank it up and leave your lights up… My DS one quit going down… It would go up again if you cranked it down by hand, but it owuldn’t go down on it’s own… I just left my headlights up and called it a day.

ok well i guess that kicks out the coolness of up and down lol just gotta put them in sleepy eye and leave them that way lol
and another question how the hell do u get the back bumper i’ve been at it for like 3 days and i dont get very far lol
thanks again

Hatch or coupe? IIRC there’s some bolts holding it in under the garnish below the lights on a hatch.

There’s a how-to on NICO or Zilvia I think… take your headlight motor out, open it up and push the brushes closer together. Put it back together. Your brushes are likely not making any contact with the commutator.

for the rear bumpers its a hatchback seems like theres 2 or 3 bolts i cant reach
and i’ll take a look for that how-to

u have to take out the Rear bumper with the Rear rebar

4 10mm nuts on either end … 4 14mm bolts in the trunk and 1 or 2 underneath (d/s rear tow hook)

XSNRGE if u got a link for that post that would be awesome i couldnt find it

ok so the headlights do go up but they refuse to go down?
hope that helps spot out the problem

^This.

damnit so u guys mean to tell me that this problem is not fixable?

i think i might just… cry

did you try the foglight switch… if the previous owner did the brown wire mod… and left the switch on… then the lights wont come down untill the switch is off… happened to me! i had a total brain fart one day… i couldnt figure out why… then DUH!!! the brown wire mod button was on!! try it…!

This happened to me too. Driver side light for me. Fixed in in a few mins, should work for you so long as you motor isn’t toast. Do check the brown wire though as Spinxxx stated.

1)Make sure both lights are up
2)disconnect the battery
3)remove the cap that covers the manual knobs
4)Adjust manally until both pop-ups are closed.
5)double check if screws on the knobs are tightened properly, not too tight!
6)replace battery and TAADAA! (hopefully)

GL

Good Luck. After HOURS of troubleshooting, john_gto and I figured out that my problem was mechanical rather than electrical. The whole headlight assembly was bent or something and caused a couple headlight motors to die during the process.

Solution = new headlight assembly

From what I’ve read, most times it seems like its an electrical issue somewhere from the column to the headlight, which can be somewhat of a pain to do.

GL

Solution = Silvia front end conversion.

Where do you think Japanese drifters got the idea from?

We now have Tyler’s light working properly – at some point there was a minor impact on the driver’s corner -slightly bent the rebar bracket and bumper upright which twisted the headlight assembly about 1/4 " . Replaced the original motor/gear assembly with a known good one -worked twice then failed due to the extra stress from the twisted assembly. Today we replace the entire assembly and compensated for the twisted area.
To make a long story short check if your car has had any front end damage -if so remove entire assembly and test while removed (connection is long enough to place the assembly in front of the bumper) may work -if not replace motor and gear assembly-retest- if good reinstall but do not twist any part of the assembly-use self tapers if 1 or 2 holes do not line up .

Helpful hint -use plenty of patience.