Heads Up on Factory Chrome Wheels/Trim!!!

GM just sent this out and I would be willing to bet the other manufacturer’s aren’t far behind.

DON’T TURN THIS INTO A “GM SUCKS” THREAD, this is an FYI for anyone with factory chrome wheels or trim because they are using those liquid de-icing agents more and more.

EDIT:This just happened to a set of Escalade wheels and GM wouldn’t warranty them… I bet that because it didn’t look like it had been washed in a year had something to do with it

Subject:Chrome Wheel And Trim Corrosion - keywords body door molding tire warranty #PIT4548 - (12/06/2007)

[LEFT]Models:All GM Passenger Cars and Trucks[/LEFT]

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href=“http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=2042853&psdid=1046&evc=sm#ss1-2042853”>Condition/Concern:

Chrome wheels and other chrome trim may become corroded if not washed after driving on roads that have been sprayed with magnesium, calcium or sodium chloride. These chlorides are used on roads for conditions such as ice or dust. The damage is not covered by the vehicle’s warranty. Always wash the vehicle’s chrome with soap and water after exposure.
<A href=“http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=2042853&psdid=1046&evc=sm#ss2-2042853”>Recommendation/Instructions:

Engineering is evaluating a product known as Wheel Wax and it is in the preliminary stage. However, some have reported successful use of this product as a barrier against the corrosive effects of chloride sprays listed above. More information is available at www.wheelwax.com.
Note: The use of this product or any like it, would be at the customer’s choice and expense. It is still recommended to wash the vehicle’s chrome with soap and water after exposure, even if using this product.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

So chrome corrodes if you leave salt on it. Sodium chloride = common salt, the stuff the dump by the truckload on WNY roads.

Thanks for the breaking news alert GM.

This also just in, salt corrodes the rest of your car too. :slight_smile:

EDIT:
How did the guy with the bling chrome slade rims take having the warranty declined? It amazes me the things some people think should be warrantied. My chromes are stacked neatly in my garage waiting for spring.

yea, but if you have seen how some of that “chome” wheels on older GM’s tarnashes and corrodes i wouldnt be suprised if he at least asked for it… ever seen those old pontiac GTP chrome 5 spoke wheels where the chrome is literally peeling away…

kinda like those white luminas where the entire paint peels off in leparcy splotches

lol, they should warranty everything huh?

IB4ToyotaWould’veFixedIt.

He wasn’t real mad, just unhappy. I think he realized that he destroys his vehicles because he never maintains them cosmetically or mechanically. It honestly looked like it had gone through a war… cougarspeed, maybe you have seen it in action?

surprisingly they used to give us some flexibility with the chrome pieces and we were able to warranty some of it due to salt/rust corrosion

I would assume chrome trim would be easier to warranty than chrome wheels. So many places for the salt to get wedged in to chrome wheels that it really does a number on them. At least with chrome trim a little rain or even melting snow will flush most of the salt off.

chrome is played out anyways.

Paddock will warranty them. My 07 Impala’s front grill surround was already corroding last year. Drove it in and they replaced it under warranty without question.

Thats probably because he is Paddock.
I really don’t think I need to explain the rest.

I’m not saying it won’t be covered for other reasons, just that it won’t be covered for salt corrosion. Considering this is January, I thought that might be good info for people because GM is starting to look closer at the warranty claims for things like this.