KIA warranty run around

I bought a 2006 Kia Spectra used in 2008 with 37,000 miles on it for my wife. I wash it about once a week in the winter and clay bar it before the snow comes and in the spring. In September 2009 I noticed a sizable rust bubble forming around the rear passenger quarter panel.

I called Northtown and they told me to bring it in to see it. When I did, they told me that because there isn’t a visible hole, it’s not covered under their anti-perforation warranty and it is out of paint warranty (which is 3 years 60K). So I chipped off the paint bubble and found the hole, waited a few months and brought it back.

When I brought it back, they still said no, so I asked to speak with the rep from Kia. When I met with the rep, he told me that the rust is most likely caused by salt and the warranty doesn’t cover damage from salt. Since then, more rust bubbles are forming around the original problem area. It is obviously an issue that is coming from behind the quarter panel and not a stone chip or dent.

They had me drive all over WNY to have it looked at, at their request. I submitted all the estimates and finally heard back from them. He told me he will pay $1000 toward the bill of $1600 and said I was lucky to get that because they normally won’t cover it.

What do you guys think, the anti-perforation warranty covers 5 years or 60K which I am below in each. Is he just trying to get me to go away? Or does he have a leg to stand on? Has anyone sued a company in small claims court?

take the 1000$ check and dont get it fixed, its an fn kia,

rust reform the spot after you sand it, feiberglass it, paint the area to match with color match paint, sell the car to some asian kid who goes to ub

I’m going to go ahead and agree with Karter…err arch on this one, it’s a fucking Kia! Take the money and run!

From the sound of it,I think with you paying $600 out of pocket would still be too much.I’d find a place that could reasonably do the work for under $1000 and make them pay it in full.IMO that would be your best option.

take the check and run

It’s not just a sand and fill, the entire quarter panel has to be cut out and replaced since the rust is coming from behind the metal.

The problem you guys are missing is that they won’t give ME the $1000, it goes to the dealership that fixes it and I pay the rest. So it’s either pay the extra $600, don’t get it fixed, or sue for the entire amount.

If I were you, I would get a couple estimates from independent shops and if they are less try to use them to negotiate. If they wont budge you can try civil court but don’t expect to win. The rust warranty really does not favor customers.

car have full coverage?

$1600 is the least expensive so far, everyone else is in the $2400 range. Why don’t you think I would win in court?

Pertinent information from the warranty booklet…

1. What is not covered
    *Any perforation due to corrosion of the Kia vehicle which is caused by industrial fallout, accident, damage, abuse, vehicle modifications or damaging or corrosive cargo in the Kia Vehicle.

*Any surface corrosion of the Kia Vehicle which does not result in perforation, such as that caused typically by sand, salt, hail or stones.

*Also states (paraphrase) that any perforation due to corrosion of the vehicle by failure to maintain the car. Such as driving on salted roads, the owner must wash the underbody as needed at least weekly with clean unsalted water.

Also… they think it is caused by the salt on the roads, but who knows what really caused it. Can their “salt” issue hold up in court if they can’t prove it was salt that rusted through the body panel?

I owned a Kia once, biggest 3-month mistake I have made. Clutch went out at 26k, they wouldn’t cover it (non-transferrable warranty). Sold the car and won’t be a future customer. I wish you the best of luck, have you spoken with anyone higher up than local dealerships?

Yes, I’ve been dealing with KIA of North America and the local KIA district manager.

go on, take the money and run

^Steve Miller?

They ran into a great big hassle

Take the money and run, drive the car into the ground. Soon enough $1000 will be the cars value.

$1000 buys a lot of gas for a kia.

How can’t you get the money? I’d tell them to cut you a check for $1500 or make them fix it. They can’t prove salt caused the problem. However does it matter if salt caused it? Water, air, humidity, moisture, sweat, imperfections in paint can all cause rust. I would continue to complain until you get something better.

I would not invest $600 into a 5 year old KIA. Killed In Action

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

How can’t you get the money? I’d tell them to cut you a check for $1500 or make them fix it. They can’t prove salt caused the problem. However does it matter if salt caused it? Water, air, humidity, moisture, sweat, imperfections in paint can all cause rust. I would continue to complain until you get something better.

I would not invest $600 into a 5 year old KIA. Killed In Action

i never had any issues with our Kia warranty. Mind you, only ever had to do some endlinks and a couple other minor things.

We’re just out of warranty now and things are still okay on it.

Overall it is a good car. I haven’t had to put a dime into it in the 2+ years that I have owned it. Regardless of the car I own, I always maintain it and the body is one I spend the most time on. I don’t want to be driving around anything with rust on it, especially after the care I took in trying to make sure it wouldn’t happen.

In any event, I highly doubt they will cut a check to me… checks are always given to the dealer when warranty work is done, it doesn’t work like an insurance claim.

I like how you mentioned that they can’t prove the rust is from salt. That’s what I am thinking and if they are going to try and continue to fight this, that is what I will tell them to do… prove the salt did the damage.

keep in mind that you certainly dont have proof of washing every week for the last 5 years…

doesnt seem like it will be a no brainer in court

I would take the money

Oh oh oh!