Heating Up New Pistons?

Hey guys I just bought new JE pistons and eagle rods for my car and I heard that you have to heat up the pistons before you assemble them. I was wondering if this is necessary or true. Any info on assembling these would help. Thanks

shouldn’t ur boss know at sub racing?

Ummm if you have to ask maybe you should be getting someone else to build you a motor.

well i just want to make sure… and everyone starts from somewhere… if someone knows something i dont im gonna ask till i know…

Well if you had machining done at a reputable shop and gave them the JE spec sheet you should be fine. Make sure to install the rings properly and fit them properly aswell.

agreed.

if you want to start somewhere…ask if you can watch the process…they have to be heated to like 70-80 degrees celcius with a piston heater…this isn’t something you want to try yourself first time.

maybe i should have read the rest of the thread :stuck_out_tongue:

Any of the engines I took part in rebuilding didn’t involve heating the pistons up. The only thing that required heat to install was the con-rods, but they weren’t full floating rods and the rod to pin was what needed heat. Full floating you don’t need any heat as they are held together with snap rings. I don’t know if this is what you were referring to or not but I hope it helps.

ya the rods i have are held in by rings… i read in the factory service that you had to heat them up to 70-80 but my journey tech at work said you only have to do that for certain types… im taking it all to my rebuild place and asking them