Heel-Toe Question/Poll...

Had this discussion with a co-worker last night, we were talking about how to properly downshift using the heel-toe method. He swore on his life that you had to turn your foot almost sideways to get the heel to blip the accelerator, but I completely disagree with him. I’ve always covered 1/3 of the brake pedal, putting pressure on the upper foot (toe) and then blipping the accelerator with my lower foot (heel), all while keeping my right foot relatively straight on both pedals.

So, how many of you know how to properly use the heel-toe method for downshifting?

Clean Baldy

best first post ever. + 2398672348756347865873465786347865837465784 karma

Does your coworker have a floor hinged gas pedal?

I don’t really use the heel at all… certainly don’t turn my foot sideways. Left edge of the right foot on the edge of the brake, and blip the throttle with the right edge of the right foot

I use the ball of my foot to do all the work in my cadavalier.
For no reason what so ever I do it nearly every time I down shift.

Like BMWs? No.

I can see a point if that was the case though, only because the hinge would inhibit the correct pressure on the accelerator.

Some brake pedals are like crazy further out than gas pedals. So, your foot has to be relatively horizontal… or your brake has to be touching the ground which would be fail. My old car had the brake pedal like a good 4" further out than the gas.

Is there really a right or wrong way? I would think it’s a matter of personal preference.

I doubt I would be able to do it on a race track without a bunch of practice, but I can do it pretty well on the street.

im becoming quite good at this in the MV and on the MC…

I know how to, but I don’t do it.

The purpose to heel-toe is to rev-match during downshifting, I don’t see how you would need to position your foot at such an extreme angle just to barely push the accelerator, you’re not gunning the car while doing this. Unless maybe you have very small feet.

No, I agree, there is no “right” or “wrong” way, but the way he described it to me last night seemed almost pointless and inconvenient. He looked like he had a broken ankle lol.

Seriously the difference in car could be it. If your driving a sports car and hes driving a sedan well there you go… And doing this on the street is gayer than my outback.

Do I know how? Yes.
Do I ever do it? No.

Heel toe rev matching is unneccessary for the street but rev matching in general is a very useful technique in terms of vehicle maintenance. Whenever you’re downshifting and you don’t rev match you are putting excess stress on the clutch in order to catch up to the speed of the flywheel which can cause the clutch to wear prematurely if you downshift often.

Oh i totally agree about rev matching but heel toe is not the way to casually do that. I anything I would think rev matching with this method over and over would be worse for your clutch.

True, but if the spacing between your pedals is wider than your foot, you would have to angle your foot in order to even touch the pedal.

I’m just saying, slightly at an angle like so:

In many cars it is possible to have your foot vertical, but due to spacing issues in cars meant for less aggressive driving, the pedals are set up differently.

Not necessarily… I mean it’s the same as rev matching with the addition of braking. If you’re over blipping the throttle or not blipping it enough then yea I see your point.

But in reality, going into neutral and just using the brake is way less wear on the clutch if that’s what you’re getting at.