HELP Bankers? HSBC?

I have a question for you bank employed people. Especially HSBC employees. I put a stop on a check of mine #161 for $214.34 and it had a stop placed on Nov. 19th which cost me $30 TO DO!!! The check still went threw on Nov. 27th because when the customer service rep placed the stop he only put it in for $214.00. So thinking the $$$ was still in my account being I DID receive a confirmation letter in the mail from HSBC stating the check had been stopped, I used my debit card accordingly. Well the check did go threw and put me over my balance and gave me a surcharge fee along with 5 others! So I went to my local branch on Broadway in Depew and they refunded my $214.34 but will not deduct ANY of the 5 ($35) surcharge fees!!! So this $214.34 check ended up costing me $205 with surcharges and the upfront $30 check cancelation fee! All this because of $0.34??? WTF im goin in on wed paying it off and closing my account. Question is, is this right/legal? Merry Christmas from HSBC! :tdown::banghead:

Start climbing their bitching ladder. Good luck.

I really hate banks for this reason…they will never own up to their mistakes and just refund the charges

Yeah, this seems like a classic case of “We screwed up, but will not own up to it, and will take more of your money to add to our already massive bottom-line.”

1. They will refund the charges if you bitch enough. When you think are all bitched out, bitch some more… then complain, and then bitch again.

2. Consider applying for a credit line at the banks for overdraft protection. Multiple $35 hits is no fun, especially during the holidays

QFT.

And, yes, it is legal. It is in the terms & conditions of the account that you signed for.

Stop payment orders are not concrete for these reasons… even if the phone rep didnot tell / remind you of this, its in your account “fine” print.

Sorry to say, but consider this a lesson learned. Yea yea, banks suck, its all their fault, blah blah.

im surprised you dont have their credit card overdraft thing. when i singed up for my checking account, they offered me a Master Card with a $2000 starting limit. at first i said no thinks, but after they explained to me that if i overdraft i my checking account, it will come right off my card, and there will be no overdraft fee. so i have that (havent had to use it yet thank god) The only thing is everytime you overdraft on the card, theres a $5 service charge, but thats a lot cheaper than $35! I believe that you can also have an overdraft protection thing linked to your savings account as well (again, prob some service charge for the transfer). If you want I can forward you the name of the guy I deal with at HSBC and the branch he works at. Very good guy to deal with when it comes to banking, as hes clearly not out to screw you (the impression i get with most of these people).

:jawdrop:

OH MY GAWD.

:tup: :tup:

I applied and was denied when I first started the account… =(

you’ll be eve more surprised to know that as soon as i got the card in the mail, i gave it to my mom and said “hide this somewhere in the house so i cant find it and use it.” i carry no balance on it, and i have it for the “just in case overdraft” yeah credit cards suck, i learned that the hard way and am trying to fix it.

how could you get denied??? i have THE shittiest credit in the world and i still got it???

I dont know guess mine is worse.

Thats what I did when I had HSBC. They had ridiculous savings account rates too (for online banking).

here’s how banks work…

1. if you don’t have enough money, we charge you more money
  2. if you have alot of money, we pay you more money

WTF!!

lol and then when ur finally broke they say ok, well just pay us back a little bit

that is right on the money.

Why is this thread still going?

cal give me a call i will point you to some one who will help you out

Kev pm me your #

why do we keep having threads like this… if you people used credit cards then you wouldn’t have these overdraft problems.