HELP me decide on a quad to pick up

Guys, ive been looking at quads for a little bit now and I decided to lean towards a Honda (figures)

The two im looking at is a 2005 Honda 300ex for $1350 and a 1999 Honda 400ex for $1850.
Im 5’-11" 185lbs. My main goal is trail riding. Not looking for crazy speed or massive jumps.
If the 1999 didnt have nice parts on it and look good Id probably just pick up the 300ex and be done.
The 300 is cheaper, smaller and newer. But im looking at putting probably $300 into it. At that point I might as well pony up and grab the 400. Im sure theres wiggle room on both quads for price.

Thoughts

I have had both of those quads, I rode a 300ex when i was 12-15 and then went to a 400ex. Go with the 400ex hands down. They are powerful enought that you can have fun but not so powerful that you will hurt yourself. The 300ex is just a gutless turd.

400ex / thread

well, turns out the 400ex guy is a scammer
search continues

400EX is a great quad, I owned one for a year and beat it nonstop, it just kept on ticking. Like the guy above said, enough power to have a ball but not enough to be obnoxious…that being said I sold it for a more powerful Raptor 660R because racecar. Although the 660R would easily walk away in a straight line, the 400EX was far more balanced and easier to maneuver at speed through the trails, over the 660R. The best comparison I can give is pushing a new Mustang 5.0 through some twisty roads, versus a new Hemi Challenger. Both are a lot of fun, but one is just a bit heavier and tends to push.

I would highly recommend a 400EX or a 660R either way.

400ex

I have a 250x which is the same as a 300ex. Motor has a wiseco 12.1, cam, 400ex carb, full exhaust, and suspension mods. Its a fun ripper but i’d still take a 400ex over it.

Thanks guys. Seems like the 400 is a decent jump in price compared to a 300 and for the amount Ill be riding Im kinda leaning towards a 300. The 400 I wanted (from the scammer) was a steal…probabaly because it was stolen lol

Going to look at a 300 later

Early 400’s don’t have reverse. The 300’s do. Something else to keep in mind if you ride on tight trails where you might need to turn around.

I had a 250X years ago and it was a blast. Certainly would have been better with more power though.

400ex’s are a dime a dozen, they can be had for $1500-$2000 if you are really looking. 99-04 had bug eye headlights and no reverse, 05 and up has reverse and looks more like a Trx450

Why not spend the little bit extra and jump to a 450? Trx450 or ltr? I have taken top 5 in scrambles and first in aa few mx races with stock spension cam andand ehaexhaust on a $1500 ltr

• Updated - - -

Or a z400 jesus tap dancing christ those this are everywhere.