Help needed ASAP- Brakes/Master- '88 Lincoln

I’m down to the wire trying to fix the car for tonight. The issue:

I was driving along one day, hit some ice coming up to an intersection and started pumping the brakes. All of a sudden the pedal went to the floor, and I ended up going right through the red light. :eekdance: The brakes were perfect before this. Anyway, if I’m going very slow and I put the pedal to the floor, it will lock the brakes right up. (For these cars, I’ve had a few of them, it’s normal to easily lock them up when going very slow (puling out of the driveway, etc.) unless you really baby the brake pedal). Driving around the block at 25-30, the car will still stop, but not fast enough to be safe. I can find no leaks, and it still had adequade fluid level. So everyone guessed the master cylinder. The symptoms seemed the same as when it went on my old Jetta. I bought a new one, since it was $15 and in stock (Yay for cheap old American cars!).

I’ve never replaced one though. Besides just bolting it up and bleeding the brakes afterwards, what else do I have to do? I’ve heard I might have to bench bleed the new one, but I don’t know how to do that.

So if anyone has any tips, please post up, I’m currently typing with greasy hands now in the middle of tearing it apart. The car is an '88 Lincoln Town Car, 5.0, power brakes, no ABS or anything like that. And if you know me call me and help me though it.:wave: I want to be driving this thing by tonight so I can beat the living hell out of it. If I can fix it I will respond with pictures of it covered in mud.:slight_smile:

Edit: Nevermind, just found the leak- So it’s a line that won’t be fun to replace. If anyoneone wants CA$H to do a brake line and a fuel line let me know. :banghead::smiley:

OT: That is the most pimptastic beater ever. Period.

that is a pimp beater. makes me miss my 86 bonneville. huge rwd sedan = snow fun for hours

i thought u had to bench bleed masters

^Yeah, the last master I put on I bench bled.

its y i bought the kit to do it

someone help sak, i need to drive this thing into stuff!

please?

The line finally let go completely, which I found out when I got shot in the face with brake fluid when the brakes were pumped. Glasses FTW again! It rusted where the line starts to head underneith the car, under the hood, on the passenger side.

So I hate dealing with rusty lines, so I’m going to pay someone else to do it. Anyone seriously want to make some cash? I’ve got AAA, car can go anywhere, I need the main fuel line replaced on the drivers side too. $$$.:bump:

Oh, on my way back from the city this morning, I stopped off by Tifft to find out where I want to drive the Lincoln. Lets just say we’re going to have some fun with this thing, even if there is no snow out.

i know where you are going… its actually a pretty popular spot. there were a few lifted jeeps there yesterday

I know who not to ask to do your brake lines.

Huh?

http://www.inflix.com/cvfo/autoyard/crusher.jpg.

on a more serious note, info on bench bleeding:

http://www.misterfixit.com/brakbld1.htm