Help needed with exhaust issue (2003 honda civic si)

Well the other day I got in my car and started driving it and noticed it was slightly louder than normal. kept driving it this week and it progressively got louder. Yesterday I got under the car an noticed the exhaust had rusted apart between the muffler and resonator. The rest of the exhaust is fine.out of all 13 cars ive ever owned Ive never had 1 issue with an exhaust so im a complete noob to what to do about this.

To make a long story short. I took it to cole muffler and they said I needed a whole new mid pipe and that they could even get it because it was a dealer part.I cant even imagine how expensive it would be to get that from the dealer. Am I better off just trying to find something after market?

I was under the impression that a muffler place could cut off the rusted part and put a new piece in and weld it back together. Is this possible? I dont even know where to go for this kind of shit any help would be much appreciated.

heres a quick picture of it.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa319/analbucket/2.jpg

cut both ends, slip larger pipe on both ends clamp :slight_smile:

Dont know why I didnt think of that. That could work any idea of where to get that kind of pipe?

pep boys sells exhaust pipes

solid Think theyd have clamps too?

lol, yes.

thanks guys lol. Its strange how out of 13 cars ive owned this is the first bad exhaust.

don’t expect that solution to last more than a year at best…

It may, I used a cut coffee can and worm style clamps on my plow trucks exhaust and that lasted over 2 years.

It might not be a perfect fix but a pepboys clamp in pipe will help. Go to like a muffler man and have them bend and weld in a new section.

A local shop to me custom bent some mid pipes on my M3 for $100. (2-2.5" mids) FYI

if its a stock exhaust…perfect excuse for a new SS Catback

thats def an aftermarket exhaust, the stock exhaust does not use that style clamp, thats part of the reason why its rotten already. Genuine honda exhausts are worth the money imo if you have a dd and are keeping it stock. You can try and bandaid the exhaust you have now but as newman pointed out, its not going to last very long.

touche…i did not pay attention to the clamp

for the time being go to pep boys, find out what size exhaust you have, get a flex pipe 1/4 inch bigger, cut off the rotten parts, slip the flex pipe over the removed part, and clamp. it will prob still be a bit loud, but nothing pull-over-able. also it wont last very long, like newman said around 1 yr tops.

keep in mind that exhaust normally rusts from the inside -out due to the moisture/condensation in the pipes. what normally looks healthy from the ouside is usually not on the insidei

not too bad im gonna price around I went a few places and they told me they only replace parts and dont do any welding.

im thinkin about it lol

Just got done taking the exhaust off ,its actually all the stock exhaust. The previous owner took a piece of pipe and put it over the exhaust and used two exhaust clamps exactly like what everyone said. Not sure why but both pieces have a clean cut on each end and the rest of the exhaust is not rusted at all. If I do it again I know it wont last but if im gonna pay over 100$ to fix it im just going to get a stainless.

true.