Help recommend a car for my brother.

Hey Guys.

A 75 year old lady pulled right in front of my brother yesterday. He was driving his 00 grand am with 108k on it. He was on grand island blvd doing about 40mph, the lady pulled right in front of him, and pushed him across traffic into the ditch.

Both bags went off, thank god he had on his belt. He’s doing fine, but the car is hammered and will be totalled.

Anyways he’s a 20 year old kid. He’s a realtor. He needs a good CHEAP reliable car to tool around in, and take some clients out in once in a while.

He probably needs a 4 door.

I want to put together a list of Newer cars under 5 grand that he can get used.

Obviously ABS, and Airbags are a must for him now (go figure how priorities change). So he wants a safe car also.

Right off the top of my head I came up with a few.

Anything thats FWD with the GM 3800 series 2 motor. What cars came with that thing? All I can think of is buicks, and the bonneville. Both would be in his price range, and nice cars imho.

I wouldn’t buy one with the junk 3.1 or junk 3.4 motor.

He doesn’t have enough money to get like a crown vic or marquis or towncar. Too bad those things are bulletproof, I would love one for myself.

We were also thinking of going down south and picking him up a 96 or 97 thunderbird or cougar with the 4.6. Those cars are totally bulletproof, and the 97’s are really nice vehicles. AND DIRT CHEAP (under 4 grand).

Any other recommendations?

He can’t afford some euro mobile with a ton of mileage. We want something under 70k on the odometer.

Thanks,
Justin

I believe you can get crown vic’s for 5 grand…

rwd??? no fwd for the normal buffalo area weather??

Taurus?
sable?
older explorers/mountaineers?
focus sedan or zx5
Im biased cuz Im a ford guy

Grand Prix GT’s are FWD and have the 3800 V6, decent interior room too

luminas ltz also had the 3.8’s they are pretty cheap to get too.

how about a chrysler concord?

Or a maxima?

My 02 Alero for 7K

I have a mint 00 jeep grand cherokee with a 3yr/36k mi transferable warranty on it. 67k miles.

Friend of mine has a 93 Buick park ave 31,000 miles, he was lookin to sell for 3800 I belive, 3.8 motor and dead reliable.

sounds silly but i drive a kia as my winter beater. they are cheap and not bad at all for what he’d need it for. the warranty is awesome too. my rio cost me 3500 with 30000 miles in 05 and its an 01 new they run 9000 for the rios. just a thought.

+1 for maxima

Buick Lesabre. Get a granny car, low miles, cheap, or a Caprice Classic :slight_smile:

Can’t find a Crown Vic for under 5k? Hell I’ve taken shits worth more than the resale on the late 90s ones.

Other options for safe and cheap,

Any GM, chrysler, and Ford sedan.
Tauruses probably have the lowest resale value of any car out there now, and are fairly reliable/cheap to fix.

Eww crown vic…

Whats his price limit? That would help narrow it down. Sub 5k?

sub 5k deffinitely.

thanks everybody.

We drove to butler PA, and ended up getting a 99 explorer sport with 70k miles. 4.0sohc, 4x4.

$3400 bucks for the car cash, he’s driving on a paper plate for a month now.

One owner car, the guy owned a golf course and used the car to cruise around the property, so it had its fair share of grass and dirt inside.

He had everything on it done at the dealership. The only thing the car needed was tires, it had the OEM michelins on it at 70k miles, and they weren’t even totally bald. He spent 270 bucks on 4 new kelly tires installed, he’s happy with the car.

Nice car, well maintained. Only thing is he was rear ended in the truck, and he replaced the hatch with a black one, and its a blue car. Easy fix for my brother, he knows alot of body shop guys. Also the guy wore out the drivers side seat, so he replaced it with a tan one, it has a grey interior. Another easy fix, seat covers.

For 3400 he got a nice deal.

dude, what happened to the supercoupe?

Uh, you said reliable… why the hell did you buy an exploder?

IBmytrannybroke

should have got a maxima

Sitting in the driveway, needing repairs. He didn’t drive the car all summer, now its just sitting in the driveway at my dads house.

I told him not to buy that rusty hulk.