help Restore Net Neutrality! (whitehouse.gov petition)

everybody should sign this one. If the whitehouse gets 100,000 sigs they MUST respond.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/restore-net-neutrality-directing-fcc-classify-internet-providers-common-carriers/5CWS1M4P

WE PETITION THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TO:Restore Net Neutrality By Directing the FCC to Classify Internet Providers as “Common Carriers”.On January 14, 2013, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit that struck down the Federal Communications Commission’s open internet rules, commonly known as “Net Neutrality” because ISPs are not classified as “common carriers”. This ruling allows ISPs to charge companies for access to its users and charge users for access to certain services. Fewer companies will be able to afford access for innovative ideas and products.
We urge the President to direct the FCC to classify ISPs as “common carriers” so that the words of the FCC chairman may be fulfilled: “I am committed to maintaining our networks as engines for economic growth, test beds for innovative services and products, and channels for all forms of speech protected by the First Amendment.”
Created: Jan 15, 2014

Not sure if it’s worth anyone’s time. Last petition I signed went nowhere and had way more signatures. This administration could give two shits about a petition. Executive action and veto are all he knows. Don’t even really need a Congress at this point. All hail King Obama.

you don’t even know what side he is on. sign this and you might find out.

Nope.

This will get overlooked and we’ll end up deporting Miss Beiber instead.

Sign this thing that most people understand nothing about to begin with yay!

Sorry, not signing. The fact that there is a petition to deport Justin Bieber that has over 100k signatures should tell you how pointless signing one of these is.

Want to do something that might actually get your voice heard if enough people did it? Write your local congressman. And I don’t mean hit him up on twitter, or facebook. Actually take the time to put pen to paper, stick it in an envelope and mail it to them. Better yet call him/her or better still schedule a visit to their local office and talk face to face.

http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

But people won’t, because it’s not a big enough issue for them to put the time in, and that’s exactly what politicians realize when they see 100k online petitions signatures but are getting almost no phone calls, office visits or real mail about the issue.

I have secured a few contracts with certain Congressman in the Buffalo area for my cleaning business and I stopped in one day to check up on my employees. While I was there, the congressman was going over some of the letters he received from concerned taxpayers in his community. These guys do read the letters, but they also get a good chuckle out of them too.

looks like it’s going to get the signs in needs anyway. If the president changes the wording just a little bit we can get net neutrality back. I’m surprised people don’t think this matters or can’t be changed.

^ I think it matters and think it can be changed. I just think online petitions are about as stupid as things get. No one who matters takes them seriously.

unlike the deathstar, when the whitehouse responds to something like this if will force them to take a stance either way. that has real value.

and the response:

Reaffirming the White House’s Commitment to Net NeutralityBy Gene Sperling, Director of the National Economic Council and Assistant to the President for Economic Policy, and Todd Park, the United States Chief Technology Officer and Assistant to the President.
Thank you to everyone who has signed on to this petition in support of a free and open Internet. Since his days as a United States Senator, President Obama has embraced the principle of net neutrality. As the President recently noted, his campaign for the White House was empowered by an open Internet; it allowed millions of supporters to interact with the President and each other in unprecedented fashion. That experience helped give rise to the creation of this very platform – the We The People website – where Americans can express their opinions on any topic and receive a response from the White House. Rights of free speech, and the free flow of information, are central to our society and economy – and the principle of net neutrality gives every American an equal and meaningful opportunity to participate in both. Indeed, an open Internet is an engine for freedom around the world.
Preserving an open Internet is vital not to just to the free flow of information, but also to promoting innovation and economic productivity. Because of its openness, the Internet has allowed entrepreneurs – with just a small amount of seed money or a modest grant – to take their innovative ideas from the garage or the dorm room to every corner of the Earth, building companies, creating jobs, improving vital services, and fostering even more innovation along the way.
Absent net neutrality, the Internet could turn into a high-priced private toll road that would be inaccessible to the next generation of visionaries. The resulting decline in the development of advanced online apps and services would dampen demand for broadband and ultimately discourage investment in broadband infrastructure. An open Internet removes barriers to investment worldwide.
A wide spectrum of stakeholders and policymakers recognize the importance of these principles. In the wake of last month’s court decision, it was encouraging to hear major broadband providers assert their commitment to an open Internet.
It was also encouraging to see Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler, whom the President appointed to that post last year, reaffirm his commitment to a free and open Internet and pledge to use the authority granted by Congress to maintain a free and open Internet. The White House strongly supports the FCC and Chairman Wheeler in this effort.
The petition asked that the President direct the FCC to reclassify Internet service providers as “common carriers” which, if upheld, would give the FCC a distinct set of regulatory tools to promote net neutrality. The FCC is an independent agency. Chairman Wheeler has publicly pledged to use the full authority granted by Congress to maintain a robust, free and open Internet – a principle that this White House vigorously supports.
Todd Park is the United States Chief Technology Officer. Gene Sperling is Director of the National Economic Council and Assistant to the President for Economic Policy.

I guess the “this is pointless” crowd wins the battle.

Whoever wrote that letter is just playing gatekeeper to keep it from getting anywhere, most likely an intern lol

it’s good to keep the pressure on, but didn’t really do much in the end. I don’t regret spending those 20 seconds to sign it.