!HELP! swapping STI motor into 2.5 impreza RS

has anyone attempted this or maybe know what all it would take to add the 2.5 turbo motor from an STI into a 98 2.5 Impreza RS?

trying to talk my buddy into an interesting project if it isn’t gonna be too much of a pain in the ass to actually pull off so if you have any info, please share.:bigthumb:

Petty?

he bought the car swapped but It would be something to look at first.

i dont know much about doing this swap.

but if you check out www.nasioc.com or www.wrxfanatics.com they will have alot more info on what all you need. and thes steps you need to take.

just buy an STI…

I like the STI’s— but IMO it’s nice to make “something your own”…anyway my .2 I like the older Imprezza’s…there’s just something about em’

The RS swap is intense. Especially when you get to the wiring. Still I know what you mean about your own thing. I purposely did not buy an STi and went with a WRX wagon. I now have it to where it is considerably faster than a stock STi or Evo . I have about 8 thousand dollars less in it than I would have spent on the STi before I started to modify the STi. It is much easier to swap the 2.5L into a WRX. You can get a short block and have the 2.0L heads worked for not to much dough. It is so common I believe PDX has a map for it. If you have an Access Port you can do the swap, flash your ECU and start having fun without getting tuned. I plan on doing just that next summer . Have to beef up the gear box first.

i’m not buying anything, i’m trying to talk someone that already has the RS into putting some more power into it.

just saying, unless you have detailed instructions on what parts you need or what wires have to be switched or rewired. your gonna get over your head in a hurry and money is gonna end up being pissed down the drain.

turbo the RS. he’s over his head already who you kidding :kekegay:

i know justin from emage has o is doing one right now

Besides isn’t like a STi motor and tranny worth more than the car itself?

okay well i’ll have to look into maybe just adding a turbo kit to his motor. and if you think it’s petty after having either the option of a regular Impreza v/s a Turbo Impreza and it doesn’t seem better to you then why are you on here?

because we’re realistic :weak:

www.wrxtuners.com

www.wrxmodders.com

Putting the motor and tranny in would be easy. The motor design hasn’t changed in a long time. Wiring would be a bitch, unless you have a totalled STi that you can just take the wiring out of the STi and put it into the RS.

STi Motor, trans, diffs, axles, brakes I would guess be easily $10k-$15k. You could save a little bit of money by using the RS or a WRX tranny, which would elminate alot of the needed parts, but the tranny can’t hold the torque, so you would have to baby it, and thats no fun.

Ps. I know of a totalled SAABaru that should run with no problem.

Listen to this guy. He knows what he is talking about. Gruppe S had used Sti transmissions for 3500.00 last week.

Nobody thinks its “petty”. There is a guy by the name of Scott PETTY who is on here, his user name is PETTY. he was suggesting that you talk to him because he has an RS with a wrx motor in it.
however, i believe there are quite a few wiring diferences in the fuel injection, and i think sti’s might have valve timing… so good luck with your project. i think it might be more cost, and time effective to build a 2 liter or put a turbo kit on the existing motor.

The JDM 2.0 litres have forged internals and rev up to 8500 rpm depending on which version. I rode in a version 6 car with the rev limiter set at 7800 rpm and it pulled very hard. These are not that much money for a short block . Long blocks start to get expensive. The newer the version the more they cost. Combine that with the light rs body and hold on.:burnout:

thank you for the responses and i’m sorry about the “petty” misunderstanding, i’m going to look into just turboing the motor thats in the car to keep the cost down. i doubt he’d be down for paying that much to mess around with gathering all the sti parts being as the cost is way higher than just a turbo kit.