Help tapping an oil pan

rep if i can :rofl

pipe thread(NPT) seals on the THREADS which is why you use teflon or some type of thread seal

AN(army navy) seals on the flare. which is why you should NEVER use teflon tape on it.

Absolutely sickening when I see brand new aircraft with teflon tape on AN fittings…

Technically speaking, I think an NPT COULD seal without any tape/paste/sealant. The threads AND shank are tapered on the fittings. The bore and threads on the body your attaching it to aren’t. So the deeper you thread in the fitting, the shank, between the threads, actually can bottom out inside the female body and seal it. Picture taking a funnel and jamming it into a rubber cylinder. same concept. But I can only see that work when the female body you is softer metal than the male fitting your sending in it… that way aslong as the threads hold you can tighten it up and actually displace some material inside the female body and create a flare if you will.

I’ve assembled various NPT fittings in a pinch (or laziness) without any paste/tape/etc and they didn’t leak.

/jellies

i wasnt saying it is a requirement. if the threads are worn then ya may need it. dont take it as i was saying you have to have it.

the only thing ive ever legally seen used on AN fittings(talking NAVAIR specs) is a graphite type lubricant on AN threads to prevent corrosion between the surfaces. but teflon tape is a huge no-no on AN fittings

That and conical seals to help seal worn flares, but that’s on the flare, not the thread. People ALWAYS overtighten AN fittings…STOP! You tighten them 1-2 hex flats last hand tight…per the BOEING MM’s.

Just checked my d15b7… came stock with a titanium oil pan

thought they were iron

Nope… billet titanium

:rofl

Time to shape up or ship out boys!

Keeping it on topic.

right way to do the job:

One of these if you think at some time the fitting size needs to change…

and say one of these to match your existing oil fitting (teflon on the NPT side only)…

OR

if you know that pan will always work with a -XX fitting… something like this welded on…

That’s the point, you shouldn’t be to a guy you don’t know in a section designed to help people.

All this talk about ball busting and it being a tight community has nothing to do with being an ass to new comers (even though this guy joined before you even and he’s OG)

Krazy Kid is a tech mod. Although he should split if possible instead of deleting- typically to trash bin :facepalm