Help with Snow Leopard upgrade.

Does anyone know where I could get the snow leopard upgrade for my mac for free? Trying to save as much money as I can. Thanks.

Snow Leopard is only 29 dollars (http://www.amazon.com/Mac-version-10-6-3-Snow-Leopard/dp/B001AMHWP8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306208879&sr=8-1) but if you really are that cheap then look for a download on newsgroups or torrents make sure it is retail CD, none hackintosh modded ones that float out there.

Got ya. Is it worth the upgrade? Or should I just wait for Lion?

Depends on what you need. What’s the point or reason for you wanting to upgrade? Never upgrade JUST to upgrade IMO.

Frees up room on the computer, would like the apps, and the use of facetime.

An upgrade frees up room on the computer? Not that I’ve ever seen. But if it’s because of facetime or other new features you want, that makes sense. Go for it. It’s an easy upgrade and it shouldn’t break many (if any) programs.

It actually frees up about 8 gigs on the computer.

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Actually 7 gigs. My bad.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/refinements/

Interesting. I’ve done many, MANY Snow Leopard upgrades and never noticed. It also seems to recover some storage by using a different format structure.
Why are you still talking about it…pick that shit up and rock it out!!! :wink:
$29 is a steal for an operating system upgrade. Windows upgrades are like 5x that much.

There is no reason not to upgrade with fairly current Intel hardware.

I wouldn’t install printer drivers and additional language translations and save a few more GB.

The printer drivers are such a storage hog and I don’t know anybody that needs 100’s if not 1000’s of drivers. LOL.
Also unless someone is multi lingual why install all those foreign languages?

Really good suggestions!

Thanks. Ill let ya know what I see when I do this very soon.

Make sure your software is capable of running in the newer OS. I want to upgrade to Snow Leopard but Traktion 2 supposedly doesn’t work in it… Lame.

Snow Leopard has been out for quite a while now. The vast majority of software designed for 10.4-10.5 will run fine on 10.6 out of the box. Worst case is you can just restore to a system image you should make before any update of this kind. But since you probably don’t have any sort of religious backup system, find or buy an external drive and use SuperDuper! to clone your drive often.

We uses superduper at work for our loaner pool. Works awesome when you want to revert to a base/stock image quickly.
x2 on the compatibility. Most titles will run just fine…I’m sure the issues will be few and far between unless the app is really old or poorly developed/supported.