help with sometimes no starton VW

my room mate has a 97 VW golf K2, it will die on him in the rain now and then mostly if stuck behind truck mist, then the car dont want to start again. this i figure water getting into the intake somewhere, but not sure where everything has a good seal
next no start is if he parks on a slight incline the oil light is on no start, no spark… we push it to flat ground and turns it takes a min to fire ( im guessing he floods it, from trying to crank it on the incline) as soon as it on flat ground it spudders a few times then it fires

not really sure where to start

first
i doubt it water in the intake, I imagine that it is a coil, coil wire, or the dizzy getting wet.

second
well, the oil light is an oil pressure light, I don’t know why that would fluctuate with car angle, but it sounds like it could only be a loose wire or something broken inside the sender.

I wonder if the computer keeps the car from starting with the oil light on?

Does this car have any mods?

[quote=“BikerFry,post:3,topic:25866"”]

I wonder if the computer keeps the car from starting with the oil light on?

Does this car have any mods?

[/quote]

i initially thought the same thing, but no car has oil pressure right off the bat. (minus accusump cars)… but it’s a possibility that if it doesn’t have pressure after a second of cranking it will no-fire.

Sounds like the car was in an accident sometime and the wiring was crushed.

X…

[quote=“newman,post:4,topic:25866"”]

i initially thought the same thing, but no car has oil pressure right off the bat. (minus accusump cars)… but it’s a possibility that if it doesn’t have pressure after a second of cranking it will no-fire.

[/quote]

i thought the same but for it being a 97 sounds like just a wire

pull a plug and check it if its wet your getting gas if its dry your not getting spark just my .02 cents

It’s the coil. Very common problem on MK3 2.0s. Soak the coil in silicon spray, or even WD40. It will fire right up. The new coil that vw released was supposed to fix the problem. It’s not cheap though, like over $100.

just replace the coil(take off the cowel cover and do it from that side it is impossible to get the bolts out the other way) from AZ or someplace cheap. that will fix the water problem.

thanks i will try that this weekend when we get away from our apartment, if our hood is open someone calls rent-a-cop or the cops

[quote=“badnewsmini,post:8,topic:25866"”]

just replace the coil(take off the cowel cover and do it from that side it is impossible to get the bolts out the other way) from AZ or someplace cheap. that will fix the water problem.

[/quote]

Trust this guy^ VW’s hate him lol, they try to die and he keeps bringing them back.

well it was poring out last night so today after the snow melted i went out and pused his car to a darker spot and you where right the coil was arching BAD, he went to get new one now

oil light come on because he turns the key when all the lights come on, i should have done more investigating b4 the post lol
thanks for the help

my 97 jetta did this. Cracked distributor cap. Try that first.