Help with the GF's car...[03 Ford Focus ZX5 - Code P2257]

Last night while leaving the parent’s house, the CEL on the GF’s car came on. I scanned the code when I got home and came up with P2257 (Secondary Air Injection).

She has the 2.3L motor if I’m not mistaken, and this motor did come with a secondary air injection pump, so might it be the pump malfunctioning?

If anyone is familiar with this code, I’d appreciate the input. I can’t seem to find too much information on google, just a few posts from some fggt SAAB forum.

Thanks a lot guys,
Chris

I’ll be right back with a ninja edit…

Is it the PZEV 2.3 or just a standard 2.3 duratec…if you dont know it should say somewhere under the hood with a sticker, and sometimes they have a sticker on the glass somewhere that says PZEV

they had common problems with the “diverter valve” and it SHOULD be replaced free under the PZEV warranty if it is indeed the PZEV model.

Edit2: heres a diagram of the secondary air circuit for her car

I guess the first thing they say to check is the relay for the system that triggers it. Second is to clean the MAFS, and third is check the diverter valve operation, and lastly the pump

hope this helps!

Dude, HUGE :bigtup:

This is exactly what I was hoping to find!

NP, its my forte…as referenced in my s/n haha. let me know if you need anything else. I have the haynes manual and two other manuals on the focus should you need them

If you have to buy an emissions pump they cost a boatload.

Check with the dealer, some emissions stuff like this is 10 years or 100k.

My brother had something like a 500 dollar pump replaced by the dealer in a 3 year old impala. They charged like 140 to install it. He only had to pay labor due to the emissions warranty.

My dads focus had this about a year ago. I just reset the code and it never came back.

Called the dealer and they said the PZEV warranty ran out 5 years ago?

I hope it’s not the pump cuz it’s about 197.79 on rock auto :-/

I’m gonna clean the MAF tomorrow and clear the codes, see if it comes back.

have you driven the car? is it auto?

focus’s tend to eat up TPS sensors…which also sends a reading to the Secondary Air Circuit…if its auto its real easy to tell if the tps is malfunctioning cause it will “hunt” for RPMS and wont be able to decide what gear to be in. if its manual, you can almost not notice the tps is bad cause you have control of the gear

Car-part.com is your friend. The salvage yards guarantee the parts that they sell for something like 60 or 30 days and usually you can find stuff DIRT cheap. Fuck, call Neuwer auto in Holland-I needed one for a VW that was something INSANE like $500 new and they had one for $100. I don’t know how the Focus ones are but the VW one I just put 12v’s to it and it started to blow out a ton of air so I knew it was good. Sometimes though with Newer’s you have to pay attention as he might quote you a price that is only a few % off of a brand new part-his pricing is a bit all over the place.

Absolutely exactly what’s happening. I’ll check that for sure.

what exactly does this pump do anyways?

LOL, man i know these cars. the TPS is only $20. just pay attention installing it, its easy to put it in upside down and then the first time you hit the gas it breaks the brand new one.

oh yeah, the tps is mounted with two safety-tipped torx screws. so make sure you have the right tools to swap it out before you set aside time to do it

Yeah I should be good, I’m gonna clean the MAF while I’m at it too, might as well.

Hopefully this takes care of it, the car only has 58,000 miles on it and it’s been a headache with little things lol.

yeah man they loaded the hell out of those PZEV’s with sensors and shit

It blows fresh air into the exhaust stream to reduce emissions.

Motocross-I have posted up on focusfanatics.com a few times for a Focus I was selling and also my dads car and there are some pretty knowledgeable people on that board that have pointed me in the right direction. For future issues, thought you’d like to know

I just signed up :tup: thanks dude, if this sensor doesn’t fix it I’m gonna post up there

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

I appreciate the responses btw guys, definitely saved me a headache or two with her AND the car lol

Got the TPS in tonight, was a bit of a pain cuz of clearance issues but definitely worth it, the old one was FUBAR’ed pretty bad, drove the car around for a bit and then transmission slipping was completely gone :tup:

Old on the left, new on the right:

BUT…the check engine light for the secondary air pump thing is still on, same code P2257. I cleaned the MAF and checked the fuses, next plan of attack?

did you disconnect the battery to clear codes when you changed the TPS?

Focaljet is a great place as well