Help with ticket

Awhile ago I recieved a ticket for improper muffler. Granted, it was a 4" tip, which was way to big for my personal taste, and I wanted to replace it, but $ was an issue…

Problem is, this will be my 3rd ticket in 3 years (other two were minor speeding) and I will lose my insurance, or pay over $8,000/year… So… This one really needs to be won/withdrawn!

Now the officer said if I replace it and bring paperwork, they might reduce the fine. But I don’t want a reduction, cause saving $50, doesn’t make up for the $6k extra in insurance, and don’t get me started on insurance companies.

Now I didn’t replace the muffler, but about 3-4 mo’s later I did sell the car… They might have been ok with that if it wasn’t so far after I recieved the ticket.

So either I need a surefire way outta this…or not that i’d ask for something like this, but if some small shop could write me a receipt for a muffler dated for a specific date, then it might be worth oh a hundred bucks or so… but I would never ask someone to do something like that… so…

Anyways I have a court date coming up shortly, so help me out ppl !!

-Mr.X

:stuck_out_tongue:

correct me if I’m wrong but a “improper muffler” ticket will not affect your insurance rates at all. it has nothing to do with your driving ability.

Insurance companies are scum… an ‘improper muffler ticket’ is still a ticket, and therefore still counts… Only thing that doesn’t count is parking tickets…

-James

ok we’ll i had the same ticket your talking about. I went to court 7 months later and pleaded “not guilty”. the officer who ticketed me was complaining that the muffler didn’t have baffles. So I called up Apexi and clarified this. Went to court and told them it did have baffles and that it is no different then any other aftermarket muffler. they began to question me “what speed were you going” trying to catch me in a trap. I told them the sound of the muffler has nothing to do with speed, rather its what rpm your in. the prosecuter had know clue what RPM’s were and I won… try and use things like: “your a student with little to no money”, “you paid enough for the muffler, its not a cheap ebay special” , “it is jasma certiefied, legal in 50 states in USA where emission laws a stricter”, “explain to the judge that you no longer own the vehicle becuz it was too expensive being a student and all”

If you deal with a ins. broker it may be worth calling to inquire whether it will affect your rate…

I know facility companies like to jack premiums for anything…

you know you dont even have to claim that as a ticket.

insurance rates are only allowed to be affected by moving violations.

this is according to my broker who ive been with for years and trust.

dark tints, impropper muffler… things like that… are not supposed to affect a thing.

id argue that point and as well point out the fact you sold the car and are no longer driving with the poor muffler.

they will probly just drop it.

GT

^yeah, but on Facility the rules change greg, I’ve had premiums go up for susp. on tickets that were dropped in court, and other stupid things I can’t recall.

EDIT: I now recall one of th eother ones that screwed me over for premiums, failure to show ins. card… It was a BS ticket, as I got pulled over 4 days in a row, and on the 3rd day the slip went into my pocket and I forgot it the next day when I changed my pants.

i went to court yesterday morning for my exhaust ticket. when i checked in, the fat lady taking names and trying to convince people to cave was breaking my balls and treating me as a criminal because my exhaust isn’t OEM.

quote, “you think you can go to canadian tire and put those parts on your car and it’s okay?” i almost snapped.

as soon as i sat down, they kicked everyone out and closed the floor, didn’t give a reason. waiting for another date in the mail.

fun.

and like greg said, a ticket such as this shouldn’t affect your rate. the only reason i’m fighting it is because i don’t have $110 to waste for something that’s fine as-is.