HELP!!!!!

ok so today i left work and my car was running fine and then all of a sudden the check enginge light came on and it started running like shit so i turned around and went back to work so that my car didn’t die in the road. any ways when you are going down the road it feels like there is no power and as soon as the rpms hit 4 grand the car starts braking up and it sounds like a rev limiter. and when you come to a stop the car sounds like it wants to die and sounds like its misfiring and stuff then you hit the gas and spits and sputters and eventually it will start to rev up and run smooth. also when you shut the car off and start it back up it will run fine and go passed 4000 RPM and run fine let it back down to idle and the check engine light comes on and it starts running like shit again. if anyone can please give any input it will be greatly appreaciated. thanks by the way it the car in my signature 89 honda civic lx dual point injection 5 speed.

my civic did that long before my swap. it was my distributor

Did you pull the code? Probably the best starting point.

4k rev limit is limp mode, something quazi catastrophic happened… stock ecu?

X2

Seems like a good starting point.

Yea thats sorta what I’m thinking. Though do what Jeff95TA said and check the ECU code first. That year of civic had issues with the ignitiors inside the distrubtor. Pull the cap off, look on the bottom side of everything crammed in there towards the front. You should see a little plastic looking thing with a bunch of wires connected to it, thats the ingnitior. If its black, that probably means its orginal and its amazing its lasted this long lol. If its brown then thats better, but it could still be bad since even the brown ones were know to go bad.

OR…I could just be totally wrong and its something else altogether :blue:

I’d check the following if the code doesn’t immediately lead you to the exact item:

dizzy (cracks, tracks inside cap), ignitor/ignition coil, fuel filter, bad gas (dry gas it?), Crank Position Sensor (if so equipped), plug wires, ignition timing, plugs/plug gap too wide/plug tip erosion, bad ECU, timing belt, cam timing.

Does that set of items make sense with anyone else? Did I miss something?

well i pulled the codes today and it came up that the crank angle sensor was bad. so now im in need of a new distributor cause for one the bearings in the distributor are freezing up and the crank angle sensor is in the distributor so if any one has a distributor that is good and they would like to get rid of for fairly cheap i would greatly appreciate it. d15b2 motor. If anyone has the stuff that i would need to swap it over to multi port that would help to cause i have a pgm intake manifold sitting in my closet all i need is the ecu, wiring harness, distributor, injectors, and instructions on swapping it over lol anyways please let me know if you have anything i am currently out of a car and need mine up and running again!!! IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING THAT COULD HELP ME I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!!