Hey IT type guys...

Here’s the scenario:

I’m at work in NT on a PC with a modem on an analog phone line, dialing into a modem in Uruguay that is in turn connected to a PLC in one of my machines.

It used to work just fine. Now I can hit the modem (hear the typical grinding modem noises) but I can’t establish a connection with the PLC. Tech support at Automation Direct can dial in just fine. I tried hooking up my cell phone as a PC modem yesterday, and bingo. I could dial through my cell phone, hit the modem in Uruguay, and establish a connection with the PLC. Got any idea what the deal is with the phone lines here?

You have any line noise?

do you have any surge /splitters in between the phone line / wall? do you get an error number?

Nothing between the phone line and wall. No error numbers. It just tries to connect to the modem, then after 5 attempts says “Reason not defined.” Don’t know about line noise either, but I wouldn’t doubt it.

No biggie, not my responsibility anyhow. I was just curious as to what’s been causing me to pull my hair out. I’ll let our “IT Professional” handle the hog, which will consist of her calling Choice One.

I would just plug a phone on that line and listen…a lot of times weird weather and crap cause a lot of line noise…your phone will dial out but not be able to connect or stay connected for long.

do you get the handshake?

do you get the reach around?

:gotme: Grinding modem noises is about the limit of my telecommunications jargon.

Nope, gave it.

so you hear the high pitch noise??

do you have a internal or external modem?

If your cell phone worked as a PC modem…and tech support dialed in…

Its either your modem or the phone line…and im going towards phone line.

See if there is an obvious connection timeout somewhere and increase it. I used to have to dial into a server in the UK, and it takes longer for the modems to handshake over an international line. Handshake = “modem grinding”.

If the grinding noise is the handshake, then I’ve tried shaking hands, hi fives, low fives, and reach arounds with no luck.

I tried internal and external modems. The external modem I tried was the same model tech support used successfully. I maxed all the timeout settings and retries. Baud rate set to 9600 as it should be. So yep, OGSI phone line problem it is. I wonder what the problem is? Like I said it’s not my responsibility to fix a phone line problem, but I have to deal with the consequences and I don’t exactly have faith in the personell who is actually responsible. So I’m just trying to help myself a bit.

/ Nope, the last time I was able to connect successfully was in December.

Did this just happening after all the rain we have been having?

can’t you just raise your buffers in the modem options in windows. that could compensate for some line noise.

hook a phone up to the line you use and dial the number…if you can get through its your modem…if not its prob you phone line

Are you reading the same thread?

He already tryed another modem and it did not work.