HICAS/Power Steering Lines Leaking. Options?

Hey All

I just got back from Canadian Tire (Sheppard/McCowan), which was an experience…
The mechanic bringing the car in to the shop wasn’t the best at driving manual, and suffered Severe roll back going in.
And another mechanic was testing the hicas/powersteering, getting it up to 60-80+. With the parking brake on.

Anyway, turns out the power steering/Hicas lines are leaking, and need to be changed.

I spoke to the Nissan dealer across the street, and they said that ALL the lines have to be changed, as they are too close together… Which will cost 300 + 800 = $1100 in parts & labour.

I’ve been reading around, and seen recommendations to disable Hicas anyway.

Can someone please suggest a mechanic who can disable hicas, and what should it cost? Or someone that can replace only the lines that need replacing?

What is the better option? (or is there another option I haven’t thought about?)

Thanks

you could prolly get some lines from some people on this board for around $100. Labour is what would be a little tough.

I just had mine disabled after my lines started leaking… Gary at Metalx Motorworx in Etobicoke could prolly help you out.

I just changed them on a '91. You can buy new ones already bent in the proper shape - ready to bolt on from Nissan parts guy for about $40 each. They are easy to change, then just add PS fluid again and away you go.

If the fuel lines are rotted out too (and they likely are if the PS lines are) - they are really hard to fix because they usually go in the area up over the rear suspension and it is almost impossible to get up in there to splice things.

Thanks, I’ll give Metalex Motorworx a call tomorrow.

Ah man, I just got over this problem. I had a rotted section in the line and I cut it out. I replaced that section with brake line and pressure connectors. Everything seems to work fine. I’ve heard you can also replace those lines with rubber lines and use hose clamps.