High HP FWD tires

Im looking to get some new tires for my car to give me some better traction. It’s a 400hp turbo civic.

Id like to get some drag radials but there’s nothing out there that fits a 16" wheel and will fit my car plus id like to get some decent mileage out of them. I’m looking for a 205-45-16 tire. I’ve been looking at higher end tires like the Bridgestone re-11 and other higher cost tires that have been recommended by other high hp fwd guys. I don’t have a problem spending the extra money on something if im going to get good results but im thinking its going to be about the same results with any tire besides a drag radial.

I guess my question is no matter what the street tire is, am I going to see any significant gains in traction to justify spending the extra money?

Well, a aftermarket LSD could also help, but the tires will most likely feel like glue if you are currently running a standard Z-rated tire.

I dont feel the high end soft street tires will help any more than the drag radial would. The only “street” tire that may help more is a really soft R compound kinda track tire for road race/autoX but those wear very fast and with stiff sidewall, they still dont grip as good as a drag radial would.

I’d get 15’s up front and mickey thompson et street radial

True. Even the hardest compound R-comps (Hankook C71, toyo RA-1, etc…) wear very fast, and require loads of heat to become sticky. At low temps they grip like shit. 16 inch sizes really are hard to find even for those types…15’s are infinitely more common. Stick with something closer to the drag spectrum, but don’t run them all the time. Keep your 16’s and put whatever tires you won’t care about shredding on for those days when you aren’t “look at me!” boosting.

400hp is going to blow really any street tire off when your running them on the street, from a dig especially. like was stated earlier your best bet is to get a 15in wheel and throw some bfg drag radials of the mt’s if your planning on doing any kinda pulls on the streets. like dying said id roll the 16s with a decent tire for a everyday driving

When my car was setup for a drag radial I would dead hook at the track on a 225 BFG. On the street with 480whp it would dead hook in 3rd.

with 600whp on a 26X10.5x15 MT et street would blow the tires off in 3rd and 4th gear. the tires would rollever it was just bad. Useless!

I plan on getting some drag radials later down the road but im a little low on money at the moment.

I think im going to give the Kumho XS a try if i can find someone that has them in stock.

how about the dunlop[ direzza seems sticky tire. seem pretty reasonable

i had them. they are a good tire and a good price. they grip pretty well but even when i was at 250hp they still spun. good all around tire for the money though

The Kumho XS will last a bit longer than any of the high-end street rubber, as they are a slightly higher durometer.

Other tires to look at:

Toyo R1R
Hankook RS3
Dunlop D1 StarSpec
Bridgestone Re-11

I repeat though, these are 200 wear rating tires, and will wear down very quickly…not as quickly as a DOT-R compound. Not only that, but the majority of them run over 120 each. Asking for street rubber to hold 400 Fwhp, is not even possible. Even DOT-R has major difficulty hooking. Realistically, you are going to spend the most time revving people at stoplights, so throw whatever cheaper tires on there and get two full sets for the price of one.

too bad you missed the bridgestone rebate

I wanted to try the star specs but they don’t offer it in my size. That has been my biggest problem finding something in my size. I’m bumping up to 215-45-16 to use the kumhos. Hopefully i don’t have any rubbing problems. The Bridestones and Toyos are a little more than i want to spend.

Im pretty easy on tires for the most part. I have boost by gear and have it pretty low in 1st (10psi), 2nd(12psi) and 3rd(15psi). I made 400 at 21 psi. Im just hoping to be able to bump it up a few pounds in each gear.

16 inch wheels is what is killing you. That is the hardest size to get decent rubber for! 15’s are everywhere…but no such luck with 16’s.