HKS Destroyed!! Shoot ME!!!!!!!

my guess would be that you sheared part of the gears, but that you didn’t destroy anything (well aside from bearings now filled with chunks of metal)

take it apart, no one will have expertise in it but a good driveline guy should be able to order you the right parts and put it all back together (with new bearings)

either way costly mistake, but even at $1000 it’s still worth it, it’ll still be worth it if you sell it in a couple years

Sucks man…gl getting it fixed.

I’ve read about dogboxes and most articles tell potential buyers to expect expensive rebuilds every season.

I’m not surprised, but it’s no catastrophic loss.

In My experience rebuilding trannies…Hardly ever will you actually break a gear. UNLESS you are making HUGE power… 99% of the time. its just a shift fork… There Super easy to replace and yea…

I just had a talon in the shop Only had 4th gear… and he was telling me that before it broke It also grinded 1st and 2nd all the time… So i tore it apart put new shift fork in. and some syncros… 60 bucks later in parts. Hees got a sweet shifting trans again.

I would almost put money on it that its Just a shift fork… And the HKS would proly use a OEM NISSAN shift fork… So tear the trans out and bring it to someone that knows what there doing and tear it apart… Its prolly not much at all…

ya bro, honestly you should gut out that tranny & save it
before it gets more damaged from the bits and pieces inside
probably from the blown R gear… :S

I would swap in a regular tranny till you got the money or so
to repair that. Otherwise it’d be a waste to just keep driving it
around and more money to spend in the end I bet.

but GoodLuck either way.

*but from what spoooolin said it seems like it could be
fixed with not much hassle, just make sure you get it inspected.

Exactly what im doing, the car won’t be driven or touched. Come spring il put in the old tranny, and hopefully fix this one depending on the case. I don’t think the problem is to bad its just sourcing parts and maybe a little bit price.
Dog box’s can be expected to be rebuilt every season or every 10K. I was just hopping to get a couple of seasons out of it through proper regular maintenance and come rebuild time i would let it go.

sorry about your bad luck man. Rebuild is for sure not as expensive as replacing the unit or selling it. Cheers n good luck.

i blew my tranny on my ka-t this summer. only driving witht he imput gear (4th) to the shop… that was dumb cause it fried my clutch… i even forgot that i had caa (you forget everything when your miles from home) could be worse though. its a track car so its gona break.

Any updates on this?

Nope sorry.
I still have the tranny on the car, hasn’t moved at all, just sitting in the garage.
I won’t have any funds till this school semester ends. I have a few things that need to be done that i can’t do so im going to get them all done at once with the tranny swap.
Once i have it off i plan on repairing it. However that won’t happen till the end of summer cause i want to completely finish both my cars that i have now with the possibility of building a third car for some other purpose listed in my sig.

So in reality im doubtful the HKS will see the track this year. I will post what the damage is when i discover it.

excuse me if this is a stupid comment for this thread but what is the point of the tranny? what makes it so good having your shift pattern in a different way? how different are the gear ratios from a stock gearbox? basicaly what im asking is what is the advantage of buying this thing and having the pain of rebuilding it every season…(if you even have to do that)

Izzz a dog box. Clutchless shifts y0!

My buddy had a similar problem on his audi a4. he shifted from first to reverse. luckily all he had to replace was the synchro.

haha yea… lol DEF awesomeness of a dog box… same thing really as a Bike trans… OOO goodness…

here is a piece of useless info

did you know when going from 3rd to 4th gear, at 3100 rpms you can shift without the clutch if you keep your revs at 3100
anyone else know about that?
is it possible to go threw all gears without using the clutch

well yea lol… I can shift though all gears (except reverse) in any 5 speed car… lol… its just matching the rpm to the gear

yeah its quite easy for every gear. you can downshift without the clutch to. like spoolin said you have to match the rpm to the gear

Im pretty sure thats bad for a normal 5 speed to no use the clutch when shifting

…but good info about the dogbox…i dident even know what they were…

nope it doesent harm it at all… if done properly and dont grind the syncros away.lol

DId you know all big rigs dont even use the clutch at all… they only use it for starting…and stoping…

i have a thread a while back about the dogbox that will explain the whole thing. u should read it, well worth it!