Holy shit: Crazy story

Just read this on the news.

A man was involved in a car accident a long way back. He was diagnosed as being in a vegetative coma for over 23 years. Only recently did they run a high-tech brain scan and find that he was in-fact conscious!!! For 23 years, the man could see and hear everything around him, with near normal brain activity. However due to his paralysis, could not speak or move to let people know he was awake.

He is now communicating with everyone via a special computer hooked up to his right hand.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/23/man-trapped-coma-23-years

That is fucking crazy…

I still think Id rather be dead.

If I were you, I’d rather be dead too.

:rofl

edit: thats a fucking nightmare and a half

just read that on yahoo’s main page, crazy. I would be so pissed off

Holy fuck dude, I cant even imagine what that must feel like, not to mention I can’t imagine the mental instability this guy must have after 23 years of seeing people over him, feeding, cleaning and changing him not to mention probably talking about him.

I wonder if hes one of those lucky patients that got puss on the regular from some crazy fucked up nurse that like fuckin coma patients, if so that 23 years might not have been so bad :lol

Seriously thou, I can’t imagine how that must feel mentaly to be concious and yet for 23 years have people not even acknowledge it.

Whats the point in living like that? So youve gone from being a vegetable to being a vegetable with a computer now. Still a pointless existence.

Why wouldnt they pull the plug at some point in those 23 years? Id hate to see the medical bills his family is paying.

ban 1

for what, being realistic?

Would you really want to live a lifeless existence for the rest of your life? Cant move, cant talk, etc.

Okay it is a crazy story, and that is totally nuts. But I have to gasp somewhat agree with PJB on this one. His life is still pretty shitty, but its not our choice and I have no idea what his (the coma dude) thoughts are on whether he wants to be alive or not. But at least they can ask him now!

Yea I actually agree with PJB. Unless hes some die hard relegious nut that thinks theres always a reason to live, which face it I can’t really think of one in his situation I’d have to agree pulling the plug seems like a much better option.

It’s pretty crazy that they let him live that long, and didn’t decide to “pull the plug”. I mean, imagine what the guy would be thinking/feeling if they were about to or going to pull the plug on him.

That’d be straight up suicide though, I know the circumstances are extreme even among the extreme, but I can neverrrr picture myself with any kind of suicidal thoughts. I don’t know. Crazy situation for sue.

For calling him a vegetable with a computer and saying because of that its a pointless existence. If my family member was in a coma and had no chance of coming back, then I think I would opt to pull the plug, but if they’re conscience they should live.

Have you ever heard of Stephen hawking r tard??

He is a vegetable though. Cant move or talk or really do anything except lie there. Still needs to be fed, changed, etc.

What would be the point of living another 30 or so years (he’s 46 now)?

Yeah, Ive heard of him but isnt he more functional than this guy? Like doesnt he type on his keyboard?

Did you even read the article or did you just look at the title?

Stephen hawking has been fighting with his disease that cuases the state he’s in.

Murrdog, also while your argument is relivant, your comparing a man whos one of the smartest physiscists around and has been despite his diesease vs a man who was thought a vegtable for 23 years, probably wish he could kill himself and for 23 years rather than pull the plug had to watch as everyont thought he wasnt there…

Now even being alive what is he going to do? Say hi and talk about his dreams over the past 23 years? IMO I’d want them to pull the plug, theres literaly nothing he can do besides type on a tiny keyboard.

wheres kevorkian when you need him. Oh thats right he cant even talk about it any more as terms to his parole. Thats a another whole subject that pisses me off.

Dude… hes alive, hes conscience. Would you pull the plug on someone who was a paraplegic? Should they have offed hellen keller?

I’m not saying just hey man fuck you, you cant do shit and pull the plug, that would be extremely fucked up.

I’m saying if he requested it they should, but they wouldent. ( Which we dont know if he’d rather live or die)

I’m simply stating if I was in that state, I would want the plug pulled.

I think you just misunderstood what I was saying.

And if helen or the parplegic asked, yes… yes they should

I agree with suicide as long as the person is in the right state of mind and I also believe in Euthanasia. What PJB was saying is that all the guy is is a vegetable strapped to the computer and has no purpose. I totally disagree with that, if he wants to live he should be able to. The mind is an amazing thing.