home brew crew?

i remember seeing a few people mention they home brew. im just getting started and im pretty excited about it. im going to buy the kit in a few hours, and have been collecting bottles for a while now lol. its tough work.

i have a few questions- what sanitizer do you use? i know star-san comes with the kit, and a lot of people use it, but ive also seen a lot of people use idophor. what do you use?

another thing, what should my first brew be? im def going to be brewing from extract, i think im just going to get a kit for some scotch ale or american ale from the homebrew store

discuss! and give me some heads up on things i should look out for. ive done a lot of reading, but let me hear some thoughts and advice from your personal experience

word!

i use the sanitizer that comes in the orange and white tub, not sure of the name, but make sure its ultra clean or ull get mold :slight_smile:

ya, i do not want the dreaded “off flavor” or even worse, moldy beer. ewwwww

Bottle Brite

Bleach and water mixture… works fine for me

I did an IPA as my first batch, that was a little much for a first brew. I just bottled about 58 Amber lights two days ago that was really easy to make and will probably taste better to the common beer drinker. The IPA from True Brew is pretty complex with the aromatic(sp?) hops and wood chips that stay during the length of fermentation.

As mentioned, the True Brew brand has GREAT kits, comes with the carboy, capper, thermometer, hydrometer (helps calculate expected alcohol content) etc. They also sell pre packaged ingredient kits for the type of beer you’d make, which is great before you start to blindly buy ingredients.

Some tips; get a thick walled brewing pot, will cost a bit more, but I picked up a thin walled pot and too much heat escapes prolonging the time it takes to first boil (you’ll see that you will have to remove the pot from the stove a few times to prevent boil over before the brew stabilizes) This was a BIG pain in the ass.

Also, pick up some cheesecloth, I use it when transferring the brew from the carboy to the filling bucket, and it sifts out a lot of the yeast.

Lastly, set the carboy for fermentation where you intend to transfer to the bottling bucket. The less you move it the less you’ll suspend the settled yeast

wrd, thanks for the heads up. i bought a really thick pot from macy home store (martha stewart brand!!!) it should work well

so do you wash yeast or use new yeast every batch?

new, I get these little yellow packets for less than a dollar, use one packet per 5-6 gallons . I didn’t even know I could reuse yeast lol. Wouldnt be worth the time anyway. Was trying to find the packets I get but I have an image block at work. I think the package says active dry yeast or something

Edit: This stuff, Muntons
http://www.nexternal.com/hombre/images/muntons_dry_beer_yeast.gif

ive made a few cases. I bought my brother the full kit from Niagara traditions by Sheridan and Military a few years ago and have had success with every batch. I think the cleaner we used is called be-brite or something like that. The guys there are cool and willing to help you out with any kind of questions

ya i just got back from the homebrew store in hamburg. i was super disappointed to find that nys wouldnt allow the owner to sell both wine and beer making kits? or at least thats what he told me… they were there a month ago and now theyre gone :frowning:

i just bought a kit on ebay and a ingredent kit for a scotch ale. i also picked up a bottle washer, b-brite sanitizing solution, and a bottle brush from the homebrew store.

and for info on yeast washing check here- http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

now that i see how cheap the yeast is this isnt really worth it lol

Home brewer here <~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wrd, just brewed my first batch, its chillin in my closet at a happy 69 degrees.

I’ve read that the air lock shouldn’t start moving for 24 hours or so, but I sealed it up and put it in my closet around 1am last night and when I woke up around noon today I checked on it and the air lock was happily bubbling away every 2-3 seconds. is this normal?

thanks guys!

jam

Yea, if you got the yeast prepped properly, they will start farting after 6 hours. By 24 they are just tearing it up like the day after a bachelor party. I love yeast farts :slight_smile:

wrd dude, I’m guessing you use a secondary? at what point do you do the transfer? I’ve heard anywhere from 3-7 days, or once the air lock starts bubbling every minute or so over.thanks dude!

BTF for sanitizer and wind river brewing for kits. They are extract kits but they also contain grains as well. Also, always go for the liquid yeast.

I have been home brewing since 1994.:slight_smile:

Me too.

Thick is better and taller the better

Here is my sweet pot I got for free.

Word very nice and willing to help out.

ohhh man i cheated and decided to crack a scotch ale i bottled on friday… its fucking DELICIOUS!!!

MOST REWARDING HOBBY EVER!

and they only get better with time

Im about to bottle my Boston Lager tomorrow night.

just bottled my first batch today… went with a irish stout to start