Any Home brewers?

:jam:I was thinking of getting into brewing my own beer. I love a good thing german hefeweison, and have found it almost impossible to get one here in the states due to pasturization and so forth. Has anyone tried brewing there own beer? it seems reasonable, about half a night of work, 30 bucks in ingredients, and about 100 for the kit will turn out 5 gallons of beer in 4 weeks. It only sits in the fermenter for about 2, so you could crank out 10 gallons a month pretty easy, more than enough for me. Anyone?:jam::jam::jam:

bananas25 has done it before…came out pretty good.

I have made a few Pale Ale’s and a Amber lager that tasted similar to Sam Adams. I need to go to Niagara Brewing store to get me some shit to make some beer now.

Go to Niagara Traditions on Sheridan near Military in Tonawanda. Owner is Paul Dyster, Mayor Elect of Niagara Falls. They are experts that have been doing this for many years. All the books, hardware, ingredients, and advice you need to make PREMIUM beer and wine.

http://www.nthomebrew.com/catalog/

Yea i’ve made it before - was pretty good… and pretty strong. One 24 oz bottle had me feeling pretty good and I can drink a pretty decent amount of booze. I’ve only made kind of standard brew “canadian” and pale ale… which is kind of weird since I like stouts, regardless I def recommend giving it a try.

Niagara Traditions I’ve heard is good, anything I got was online though… either way, try it out, make sure you get decent stuff though, and follow the directions otherwise you will likely end up with exploded bottles somewhere in your house/apartment :stuck_out_tongue:

I bought my brother a home brew kit for x-mas last year from niagra traditions. It’s pretty easy to use and definitely has some good brews.

:wave:

I got a mister beer kit for christmas.

I made the IPA beer that comes with it.

My advise is to let it sit for several months next to a warm heater or something.

The 4 weeks they tell you makes for a near flat beer, the stuff I had sitting for 3-4 months turned out excellent.

I am brewing my second bath as we speak. Like ugoslow said, Niagara Home Brewing is a great place to get started. I wouldnt use an all grain setup until you have around 10 batches under your belt. Using all grain is extremely difficult from what I hear.

I brew vodka, wine, and vinegar with my father but never beer.

I can’t imagine it being a difficult process though.

The roommate and I just finished our third batch. We are making an imperial chocolate stout. Our ipa should be done in two weeks, and the stout will be done in a month. :slight_smile:

I’ve got a mr beer I got for christmas last year still sitting in my basement.

It sounded like a good idea at the time, but I’ve found beer is more about relaxing and drinking it than working and making it.

[quote=“JayS,post:12,topic:39445"”]

It sounded like a good idea at the time, but I’ve found beer is more about relaxing and drinking it than working and making it.

[/quote]

is it a kit that uses extract or an all mash kit? This is only my third batch and it only took thirty minutes. From sanitizing to the brew. It is insanely easy. If you want to to do your first batch I have no problems with showing you how.

[quote=“ecoshardcore,post:11,topic:39445"”]

The roommate and I just finished our third batch. We are making an imperial chocolate stout. Our ipa should be done in two weeks, and the stout will be done in a month. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Are you living with Ben? :tup:

Last time I saw him out he said he had a batch brewing, and I know you two are friends…

[quote=“brendansi,post:14,topic:39445"”]

Are you living with Ben? :tup:

Last time I saw him out he said he had a batch brewing, and I know you two are friends…

[/quote]

Yes, I live with the angry Norwegian!

[quote=“ecoshardcore,post:15,topic:39445"”]

Yes, I live with the angry Norwegian!

[/quote]

lol :tup: :tup:

[quote=“JayS,post:12,topic:39445"”]

[/quote]

LOL no bullshit i did the exact same thing i bought the deluxe home brew kit. It was an expensive dust collector.

I have been brewing for about 12 years now. I mostly use products from wind river brewing. Their kits are very good and I never had a bad batch from them.

I brew coors light.

1. fill up bottle with tap water
  2. add food coloring to get a nice yellow
  3. add 5 drops everclear with eye dropper
  4. profit?

[quote=“ecoshardcore,post:13,topic:39445"”]

is it a kit that uses extract or an all mash kit? This is only my third batch and it only took thirty minutes. From sanitizing to the brew. It is insanely easy. If you want to to do your first batch I have no problems with showing you how.

[/quote]

No idea. It’s in a box in the basement. I start thinking about beer and go down to look at it and the problem is that my beer fridge is right down there too. So while thinking about beer I think, “you know what would go good right now, a beer!”.

Next thing I know, lots of this :beer2:
and not a lot of reading the directions in the kit. :slight_smile:

Maybe this weekend I’ll take another look at it. Hmm, beer sounds good this weekend…