Home Theatre crew

So I’m in the market for a home theater this coming winter. And by theater I primarily mean a receiver + speaker+sub combo (5.1 or 7.x).

I know little to nothing about how to pick one; there’s just too much shit out there to learn, and I’m still learning.

Considering I won’t know how to piece things together I’ll likely end up buying an HTIB (something in the $500-$800 range).

Anywho, it’d be interesting to see what others have for setup in their home.

Primarily interested in what you have for:

• TV
  • Receiver
  • Speakers (surround)
  • Subwoofer

Wrong section!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways. Did you check out that home theater place on queen by the 410?
I forget the name of the place. Yet, I bought my Plasma there for a damn good price. They always have decent shit on sale there.

I work at BB in home theatre…which isnt saying much… BUT
Theres this samsung home theatre in a box we have for around $500… and its probably the best HTIB at that price point, and can easily compete with far more expensive ones.

Sound reproduction is excellent, lows mids and highs are all nicely done and it fills up the room no problem. Ive yet to have somebody whos previewed it not like it.

I agree… Samsung or Pioneer only for the win…

dont buy any speaker set that is made out of plastic. it sounds like shit and you’ll regret buying it…imo

but im a hi-fi kind of guy…

this thread sucks so far.

best buy sells nothing good.

go to http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/

for $500??

you can ebay a nice Denon, NAD, or Marantz receiver

pick up some old Paradigm 3SE’s for $150 and piece together a centre and rear channels.

i love yamaha here is my home theater pics dont do it any justice ive metered it @ 115 db not bad for a living room with bad acoustics everything is yamaha except for the amps and the projector. and its 7.1 all channels are used
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm4/nd4boost/picture042.jpg

I work at the sq1 Sony store, for $500 I have a 1000 wat combo system but made out of plastic , if you want a amp and full 5.1 sound system made of wood , your looking at $799 just for the speakers and a amp to power the speakers $399 on sale for $299 7.1 amp and with wireless options

Pm me with any questions

the kind of amps / receivers that used to be $300 used are now $100 on ebay all day long dude…

basically no one buys component audio stuff anymore so it’s all radically cheap. theatre in a box is a cop out… ball out on a budget brother face

i bought a yamaha 5.1 two or 3 years ago with reciever speakers and sub at audio video 2001 for around 800 dollars and i love it to bits. Never had any issues with it. Also i bought a samsung 42" 1080p last year on boxing day for 800 and its still working great aswell. Ill take a picture of my setup if you like.

Dudebud, invite me over, I’ll be the first person that won’t like it.

No fucking way in hell should you buy AUDIO from Samsung. What the fuck do they know about it? Seriously. Also, no HTIB is even worth the cheap plastic it was made from.
Just go out and listen to stuff, and see what you like. For receivers, I second Bing’s list, but I would also add Onkyo, and if you’re on a budget, Yamaha makes some pretty decent ones too.

I’m also a fan of Yamaha and Polk.

lol u shoulda bought that custom stuff my dad made when i was selling it for him… a guy actually flew from ottawa to buy it LOL… hardcore steal of a deal… alas

onkyo>harmon kordon>yamaha

Very true, you should be able to find cheap shit on ebay… at the lower end of the spectrum it should be easy to put together a budget system.

G, my home theatre setup sans-tv cost me ~$500 with all speakers.

Cheap Denon receiver
Paradigm Model 9s (main)
Niles OS-10 (rear)
Cerwin-Vega (center)
Mission 10" sub in a JL box

Check out these speakers - PSB Alpha 'B’s - buy 4 if you feel the need, but the sound is SPECTACULAR for 200 - 300 pr. Then spend 200 - 300 on a good used integrated amp on Audigone. Really.

+1 for PSB

hey why dont u post a pic of your current living room…lol but it was a sick setup