whos into home theater?

so here whats i just got.

i got this receiver for $339

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MASR4002

and these front channels for $139 each.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/recent/t90e/

i have 4 panasonic rears, panasonic center, infinty 12" downfiring powered sub and a panasonic plasma. as far as the surrounds and the center, they will be replaced with something much nicer but for now they will work. also thinking about putting another sub in the other corner.

but i havnt been into home theater stuff since i was little. getting back into it.

Is this because you now own a home?

my parents have a pretty dope theater at their house, not sure on what components my dad used but it sounds and looks great.

I am kind of into it. I forget what setup we have downstairs, its a 7.1 Onkyo setup. Got it like a year ago or so. Then theres the 50" HDTV. :slight_smile:

o ok so in other words… no one knows shit

Honestly, you have to really fuck up right now not to spend money on a new system and have a semi-decent Audio system. I run an entry level polk with powered sub and a 6.1 digital receiver and it sounds very nice for a very low budget. Be careful with the TV. Do your research first as I made a lot of bad assumptions.

huh about the TV? first off i never said i was new to this stuff because in fact im not. i just have been off home theaters ect for awhile now because ive been so infatuated with cars. but i have kept up enough to know that plasmas still rain supreme!

I just made a generalization that it’s hard to go wrong. I was ify about Plasmas. I liked my LCD picture better. What did you have in mind for the TV?

no i have a TV. haha. i have a panasonic plasma

jim p 2001 works at smart home on wolf road … he knows his shit when it comes to home theater … Pm him

i picked up an onkyo 7.1 surround sound system for 369 shipped from newegg. this includes all the speakers and sub. quality is great. the only drawback is that its hdmi passthrough, no big deal i just run the optical cable from my TV. has most if not all the options that receiver has.

its $399 now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120081

I Thought the HDMI pass through is desired?

i know SOME stuff. btw, are u going to be using the amp thats in the reciever or getting a separate setup? what about preamps? who’s doing your crossover and possibly time delays?

I dont feel like reading the specs on your receiver… does it upconvert every signal so your only output is through one HDMI cable? I have my Denon I got two years ago that does that and it’s the best thing EVER!!! Only one cable that goes from the tv to the receiver, LOVE IT!

Denon receiver, with infinity surround speakers and 400 watt (i think) infinity sub, 56inch samsung. I could look up all the model numbers, but I don’t care enough to do so :slight_smile:

OH! also, i wanted to mention this. buy a separate center channel. a klipsch with copper drivers. you’d be surprised at how much nicer it will all sound with just that there.

I am a big HT guy.

Samsung 650 series 50" plasma
Samsung BDP-1500 blue ray player
Onkyo TX-SR805 reciever (50+lb BEAST)
Athena LS500 front towers
Athena LS-C100 Center
Mirage Omni-sat V2 rears
Custom subwoofer box, still being built by myself. Speaker is a Fi-Audio SSD12" dual 2ohm, Behringer EP2500 rackmountable 47lb 2,400w MONSTER amp, Reckhorn B-1 for crossover/sub-sonic filter and active bass extenstion. The box is 4.0cu’, slot tuned to 19hz. Speaker is mounted on the bottom, inverted with magnet outside firing up into the box. EP2500 is flushed out on the front top of the box. So far without the amp or speaker, it takes 2 people to lift it. 1 full sheet of 3/4mdf, 3/4 a sheet of 1/2" mdf and a full sheet of 1/2" poplar cabinet grade ply!

bluray player is connected with hdmi to reciever and the audio is bitstreamed for uncompressed audio/data. The reciever decodes DTM Master audio and Dolby TrueHD. Video is full 1080p. Digital cable box is hdmi to reciever. The tv audio out is connected via optical. this is just for pluggin in a usb thumb drive into the tv and playing mp3’s into the reciever. (fucking sweet feature).

I am also building a HTPC, which will play full 1080P, Dolby TrueHD & DTS Master Audio, bluray burner, and a few TB’s of storage. For MP3, and DVD / blu-ray storage, as well as interwebz and what not.

If you have any questions, I can help you.

You should allways match the center channel to the L/R stage too. It is called timbre matching. Basiclly the voice audio (what a center channel is designed to do mostly) will sound very different coming from 2 different drivers at the same time. If you have say a tower with a titanium tweeter and polymica mid driver, with a silk dome tweeter and polymer composite mids… they will sound totally different.

Find the center channel in the product line your front stage came from. Dont mix and match LF/RF and Centers.

you can somewhat mix. to me the main thing is as long as the tweeters match(im talking materials here, metal and metal or silk and silk) you can eq out the rest. then theres also the whole metal vs nonmetal tweeter debate, but were not goin to go into that. :slight_smile:

Yep. thats the idea!

I was into this stuff YEARS ago but haven’t read anything about it recently. I still have the same Yamaha receiver and Bose Acoustimass 15 setup from like 7 years ago. Equipment has been damn good to me, never given me an ounce of trouble and sounds solid to this day. And I love my Mitsu 60" DLP 1080p :slight_smile: