Honda Civic starting issues....

well, after an engine mount failure…I replaced the driver side half shaft, engine mount, and made a solid mount for where the a/c compressor used to go. I finish up, and the car does not start all of the sudden. It was still running for about 2-5 mins after the mount failure just fine. Has not been started in 3 weeks since being towed home. Gets spark just fine, cranks over, all electronics work as normal, no blown fuses, etc. Full tank of gas so possibility of condensation should be minimal. noticed the plugs are getting pretty fouled out trying to start it. Only thing i can think of (really stupid) is that i forgot to disconnect the battery when welding on the frame of the car.

cliffs:
I didnt disconnect battery to weld on car (slipped my mind in a rush)
battery was drained but with jumpers cranks strong
gets gas (possibly too much, fouling plugs)
gets spark (bosch platinum +4’s)
fuel pump kicks on when ignition in “ON” position
no blown fuses, cleaned battery terminals
almost full tank of gas so it shouldn’t have gotten condensation.

I plan on trying fresh spark plugs and gasline anti-freeze just in case…But I need other ideas for things to check. I’m really hopeing i didnt fry the computer, but pretty confident i didnt because everything else works as it should.

Suggestions??

there should not be a issue of it trying to start if your getting gas and spark…

and you would not get spark or the pump would not turn on if the ecu was cooked

pull the plugs and see if you aregetting spark…if you are throw them back in and shoot starting shit in the intake and it will start… if this work you not getting gas in there… also if its getting to much gas try some WD40

try to pull the 7.5a fuse under the hood next to the batt… pull it for a min and then throw it back in try to start it…

does it crank over? does it think about starting?

I have fried an ECU and experienced the same problem on an 86 integra. I have also welded metal on my car without disconnecting the battery, so Idunno.

Did you change plugs/wires?
Sounds like the firing order is messed up, b/c if you have spark and fuel it should run, if it doesn’t its a timing problem

it cranks fine, and when pulling the plugs they are wet and i can def. smell gas. All four plugs get spark when i checked. I tried disconnecting. it the battery for 5mins and reconnecting. it cranks but doesnt fire. I even tried push/bump starting it to no avail.

will try the 7.5 fuse next to the battery and also the wd-40 tonight. Thanks for the tip

I wasnt TOO worried after i realized i forgot to disconnect the battery before welding as I have done that a few times on other cars with no issue…

i didnt touch wires/plugs so the order should not be wrong…

if the timing was off for example maybe even a tooth wouldnt it still start but run very terrible at the least?

it would try to start … you would get something

yeah thats what i thought, it doesnt really even seem to “try”…just cranks and cranks but not even a stumble of a start

check you timing belt.(look to see if it is still there). really just take a look at it… if you cant get at it … take off the cap on the dizy and have someone crank it over and see if it moves… if it does not move your belt is broke…

the only other “problem” i can think of is that when i bought longer bolts for the driver’s side engine mount, I puched through the embossment into the coolant passage…so i put extra washers on and a shit ton of loctite, but highly doubt thats preventing it from starting

but driver side = timing belt area …

is it a 5speed? if it is try to push it and bump start it…

-it is a 5spd

its a d16z6 swap if that throws any other variables into the mix

no my info is anymotor

sry did not read that info… what did it do when you tried bumping it?

thanks for the tips, I will give all of these a shot and see what happens and post results late tonight or early tomarrow lol, depending on luck

:tup: let me know

if it gets fuel and you verified spark maybe fouled plugs, when you buy new ones get the cheap ngk copper plugs

if u pulled the plugs out did u drop them back in???next time when u do it use a 1.4 piece of rubber hose to start the plug after youve gapped it of course…ive seen plugs dropped into cars and the gapwill go from .45 to 0. distributors go alot on the hondas i know youve done spark checks but just a suggestion

if they smell like gas i do not believe you are getting spark how did you test for spark. if you have gas and fuel then your timing is off or you broke a timing belt

nick if you dont get it call me i will be in west seneca tonight

replace your ICM…ignition control module- located inside the distributor… just an idea