Honda Civic Valve Tick

so a coworkers 99 Honda civic EX Auto with 76k Miles on it… started making a tick from the valve area… is this a sure sign the motors on the way out or is there away to ajust the valves?
thanks Mike

Thats normal on a honda. :slight_smile:
Try adjusting the valves.

I go through this every winter in my 94 Integra. The first winter I owned the car, 5 or 6 years ago, I asked a tech. at Don Davis who was a friend of my dad’s how normal it was and he responded with very and not to worry about it. I think this summer I may try adjusting/checking the valves and see if that helps next winter.

If he wants it fixed, I could take care of it Sunday or Monday. PM me if he is interested.

How do you go about fixing this. Is it simply checking the gap with a feeler gauge and adjusting as needed or is there more too it?

^^^ yup.
I believe its 1-3-4-2

Okay, yea thats what I thought. Thanks

don’t forget the motor has to sit for like 12 hours. it can’t have any heat in it what so ever. your readings will be off if you don’t wait. also if you don’t have a feel for the feeler gauge it’ll probably take a few tries to get it right. and if memory serves me, the piston for the cylinder you’re working on needs to be at tdc.

yea ^^^ it also has to be done like every 30k miles or so

A valve tick = engine on its way out???

That’s like saying: My clutch is slipping, do I need to rebuild my gearbox?

its amazing, this is the first hit google gave me :bloated:… anywho, these directions and clearances are right. i would suggest keeping them on the tight side.

Valve Clearance
Stock D16A6,D16Z6 and D16Y8 Cams
Intake…007-.009" (.17-.22mm)
Exhaust…009-.011" (.22-.27mm)

How to Adjust D16 Valve Clearance
CAUTION:Always rotate engine in direction of normal rotation(counterclockwise as viewed from front of engine). Reverse rotation may cause timing belt to jump time.Rocker Arms are made of aluminum and can be damaged if lock nuts are overtightened so be careful.
Note: Valves should only be adjusted when engine is cold with temp of it less than 100 degrees F.

Step 1…Remove Valve Cover.Remove Upper Timing Belt Cover.Rotate Crankshaft counterclockwise until No. 1 piston is at TDC of the compression stroke.Up mark on camshaft pulley should be on top,TDC marks should align with cylinder head upper surface or TDC groove should align with pointer on back cover

Step 2…Loosen adjusting screw lock nut on cylinder No. 1.Adjust valve clearance to spec on all valves for No. 1 cylinder.Turn Adjustment screw until a feeler guage slides back and forth with a slight drag.Tighten lock nut to spec and recheck valve adjustment…Cylinder No.1 is done

Step 3 Rotate crankshaft counterclockwise 180 degrees(camshaft pulley rotates 90 degrees) Up mark on camshaft pulley should be on the exhaust side.Adjust all valves for Cylinder No.3

Step 4 Rotate crankshaft counterclockwise 180 degrees(camshaft pulley rotates 90 degrees) Up mark on camshaft pulley should be down(both TDC grooves will be visible again).Adjust all valves for Cylinder No.4

Step 5 Rotate crankshaft counterclockwisw 180 degrees(camshaft pulley rotates 90 degrees) Up mark on camshaft pulley should be on the intake side.Adjust all valves for Cylinder No.2

Step 6 …Ensure crankshaft pulley bolt is tightened to spec

stop…you dont know hondas…really that car is not on the way out im sure he can get 500k more with the “tick” and not have a problem

piston slap > valve tick. much more burly.

i believe he was being facetious

oh… it got to me… ok im better

remember, its always better to be on the loose side than the tight side with the valves, and they should be done cold, if you do it warm, they are gonna be looser than they should be.

why should they be loose? you don’t like your cams true profile?

no it’s so they can get out of spec faster and you can do it again since it’s so fun to do.