Honda civic: Loud ticking after motor install

i bought a d16y7 motor from my friend that was running 100% fine before it was pulled.
it sat for about 3 months
i installed in my hatch. started the car up and heard a loud ticking. i shut ut down and checked the oil ( come to realize that his dad overfill the motor while it sat) i then change the oil and open the vavle cover to check the head. still ticking.
im hoping its not a rod knock or somthing. any info suggestion?

Collapsed lifter, very likely.

:word: lifter

yea, try some motor flush once or twice. It helped on a few cars ive had a nasty lifter tick on. If that doesnt help then they might need to be adjusted/ and or replaced.

adjust valve lash?

def. start with valve lash, ask him if it ticked when he had it.

no there wasnt any ticks before. he a good friend of mine and also help me put the motor in.
ill mess around with it tonight after work and hopfully get this thing solved

lifter:wave::fail:… d16y7=sohc= no lifters start with lash, it will be hard to point you in the right place not hearing the noise but if you adjust the lash and it doesnt go away check oil psi and see if it is at spec maybe it sludged up sitting for a wile… hope this helps

how do i check for oil pressure?

an oil pressure gauge?

well you need to have access to some sort of oil pressure gauge and you will need some basic knowledge. the stock oil psi sensor is on the back of the block right above the oil filter, depending on if it is a mechanical of electronic gauge, you can get an 1/8th inch npt nipple and a small pice of rubber hose to go to a mechanical gauge or to the sender for an electronic gauge…