Honda Del Sol

Figured I’d share a little here on what’s going on with my build. Winter is coming to an end and I’m ready to get to work.

Basically my goal was to be able to competitive at Autocross or the Glenn if it be in the budget. I was also going to be more than happy if it ran 13.0 to 13.5 in the 1/4.

Started out with trying to boosting a fresh GSR. Type-R cams and pistons, B16 head rebuilt and some work on it done at T&W and a stock LS tranny. Basically just a stock rebuild and turboed on 93 pump gas. Results didn’t last long and well… it WAS fun.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20225[/ATTACH]

Went back to my 200k+ mile LS block I had since the begining of time. Ended up switching to E85 and found a limit of my injectors. Got bigger injectors and turned the boost up. Stock head and block made 300+ whp and made a few passes at NYIRP on street tires, 12.3~12.5 @ 118~120mph. Again it WAS fun for about 3 sets of stock pistons.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20226[/ATTACH]

Finally got a little sick of always doing a tear down and rebuild.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20227[/ATTACH]

I don’t have a picture of when I finally put in my weisco pistons and eagle rods but I turned the boost up MOAR! Made just shy of 420whp and 360+ torque. I don’t think thats too bad for a 1.8l. I wanted more but I ran out of spark at 20PSI and kept misfiring. My other weakness are my transmission. Blew three just last summer. 3rd in one, 4th in the other and the almighty open diff in the last one. My resolutions for these problems are Hondata coil-on-plug retrokit (check), new trans of course (on order), LSD (need to order like NOW!) and traction bars (check).

Personally I think I can make some 11 to mid 10 passes and still compete strong in autocross. I have a boost solenoid (not yet installed) that will help for both autocross and drag. At the end of the day I do it all for the LAWLS…

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20228[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20229[/ATTACH]

Is that fire under your car in the drag racing pic?

Interesting…

if it becomes reliable, and stays that quick, this will be an awesome little car

Open dump wastegate I’d imagine…

I’m running Hondata S300 and my ignition cut does it with 2-step or rev limiter

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Other then the pistons I didn’t really have issues with my motor. Honda trans can only take so much abuse when they are $150 a pop and 180k miles on them.

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

It was at the time yes but I’m looking to switch up turbos and doing full 3" all the way out the back in contrast from the 2.5" open down pipe I was running last year

This thing seems pretty awesome.
Also, seems like you blow it up a lot. I like that.

What was your best pass at the 1/4? I’m assuming you have only have street tires or DRs?

X2, looks like fun to boot around, especially with that many jams, gl with the reliability issues

I wouldn’t say I blow it up. Other then the motor I detonated I have only replaced pistons with shot ring lands. I’m not here to drive my car like it’s a collector I have it to push its limits. I will be doing as many FLR-SCCA events as I can if you care to see.

---------- Post added at 08:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

Street tires only and I’ll tell you my best trap speed. 128 and some change. Another car tuned by the same guy making 15 more WHP but weighs more was doing 130~131MPH traps on DRs. If it’s in the budget I’ll get slicks but they aren’t on the top of the list.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20248[/ATTACH]

I also got a bag of cat food it came with a free coil-on-plug retro kit and a distributor block off plate. Purina is going to be a leader in automotive performance soon enough.

This will have my car purring soon enough… <- Corny

Trap speed doesn’t really matter IMO since you’re spinning and it inflates obviously. I went 11.4x @ 124-125mph on slicks with shitty 60s on 350whp 248tq(lol). You should have no problem putting that to shame with 70whp more on some slicks that is. I’d like to see this thing autocross with that much power lol.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5WJuvyInQs&feature=plcp&context=C3b12bc9UDOEgsToPDskKv_TWGz2q96aG2wVZ8I2E7[/video]

Here it is

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

I try to run N/T. I’m not really a grudge racer but I’d like to keep it a little secret. I don’t mind telling past results. Any times I have posted are from when I was making 300+ WHP.

Glad to see another Del Sol owner giving it hell!

:tup:

Thanks guys. Maybe within this next year or two I’ll actually take pride in the appearance and fix the rust and paint it. This who go faster thing seems to always slap me in the face.

Also I don’t think I mentioned it. I will have to address my fuel system this year cause a single walboro 255 in tank won’t cut it. RIck Gifford from BTF Racing has been more than a friend to with for a few years and he is also the one who tunes my car. His suggested solution, currently in the works as we speak, is a surge tank. I will retain the in tank pump and put a walboro 400 in the surge. The surge tank is going to take up space where the factory location is for my battery. I wanted to use all stock lines going to the surge tank as well as my return line. He said it can be done and we will run a -10 line to a fuel rail he is looking to fab up also. He would be able to replicate this setup for anyone else also and has suggested he will leave enough room for another pump if or when it may be needed. Fill it like normal and drive it Sunday to Saturday and I’m a happy camper.

All for the lawls

Well I would reply with quote, but its taking forfuckingever.

Im n the process of making a surge tank setup for the cavy, for the same reasons. In for updates on yours. :slight_smile:

Dan

I talked to him last week about getting ideas together on what to do and this week is gathering materials. I know how much of an engineer buff you are Dan so you’re best bet is to ask him details on it. He started talking quantum physics and he lost me at the 4th nebula… I just said you’re the one tuning it and making it so I’ll do what you suggest.

I’ll get pics up of it when I can. It’ll probably be as big as a 51R battery.

About the same size I will be running this summer in the rsx it will take the place of my old meth tank

Switching to E85 also?