honda guys enter: Civic Transmission

1997 civic hx

Lately I have noticed that teh civic has been shifting a bit harder than normal, instead of being nice and smooth. The clutch grabs just fine,and every gear engages without grinding…but it’s just…well…“clunky”

I have yet to run into this problem on any honda i’ve owned so any advice on what it may be would be very helpful. Thanks in advance fellas

umm drive and smash the gas a few times does it slip at all?

how many miles? has the trans fluid been changed avery 50k miles?

no…but basically when I shift it is not as smooth…it is harder to get it into gear

at 100k.

car currently has 122k on it

the linkage rod or whatever you call it could be rusting? not shifting as smoothly as it used to?

check your clutch fluid… could need a slave rebuild…i would need to drive it to really see what your talking about

like said above…check clutch fluid, slave could be leaking. new slaves are like 30 bucks.
Also, your shifter bushings underneath could be shot. very common to happen.

Is it hard to go into gear or does it engage hard?

check your shifter bushings

is the TOB making any noises? Does the clutch slip at all? How many miles are in it? is it OEM? Check the clutch fluid, shifter bushings…etc

Yeah I figured it was either the linkage/bushing, or something to do with the slave. Thanks for the advice fellas, I am home this weekend so I plan on checking things out tom.

replace the shitty work out shifter bushings with $12 energy suspension ones. check to see that your drivers side motor mount isnt puking fluid all over your engine bay too, that will mke the motor move around more and make it harder to get in gear.

justa4door might actually have given you good information here. your slave is probably fine, but odds are your clutch fluid is original. flush all of that out and re-bleed and fill with fresh fluid. in all likelihood, thats your prob.

burnouts.

do them.

In stock at Swerve Motorsports

Thats my solution to every problem, too!

sell it to me and I’ll fix it.

:picard:poor civic can barely get itself out of its own way.

I got under the car and took a look at the bushing…the entire linkage looks solid and the bushing looks fine. I will be replacing the fluid again sometime next week.

Also, the car just started throwing and EGR code today. I was talking to a guy who told me that this year civic has an extended warranty for exhaust issues.(dont ask…he was very vague and possibly smoked crack) but I will give Honda a call on monday and see if I can get that fixed fO FreE! Has anyone heard anything about this from Honda?

good looks thank you.

There was a recall for 1995-1997 Accord V6s and 96-97 Accord I4s for any emission work until the car reaches 15 years old or 150K miles, Honda would cover any Emmision related problem. Honda of North American sent me a letter that I had lost, went on HT, and someone linked me to a site that had the PDf version which I printed out and brought in with me so I could get my repairs compd. Not sure if anything like that was available for the Civics, could call a dealer and ask if there is a TSB on it, doubt they will want to tell you yes there is even if they know there is though.