how are you storing your motorcycle this winter

[quote=“speedracer18t”"]

I think that this would be a good topic for this category. Just wanted to see what everyone is doing to prep/store their bikes.

so far i changed my oil, cleaned the bike down, cleaned and oiled the chain, lubed moving parts etc checked all function of everything for next season.

I think im going to keep a full tank of gas in it and start it through out the winter…
Is there a good fuel additive that anyone uses for over winter storage?

[/quote]

Keep the tank edit: 9/10, don’t forget to add sta-bil. And DO NOT start it over the winter, unless you plan on letting it warm up COMPLETELY.

put it on craigslist and let some one else worry about it…

Its in my kitchen

[quote=“rdandy5875,post:21,topic:37831"”]

Keep the tank FULL to the TOP.

[/quote]

Bad idea. You ALWAYS want to leave just a little room for expansion. Fill it to the brim on a 40-50 degree day and the first 70+ degree day you have there will be gas leaking out. Enclosed storage like a shed or garage + gasoline vapor = recipe for disaster.

I’ve been storing boats/motorcycles/atv’s/power equipment and other misc seasonal stuff for years. 9/10ths full, stabil, fresh oil, wash down, fog carb if it has a carb. In 15 years I’ve never had something not start right up after the off season.

[quote=“JayS,post:24,topic:37831"”]

Bad idea. You ALWAYS want to leave just a little room for expansion. Fill it to the brim on a 40-50 degree day and the first 70+ degree day you have there will be gas leaking out. Enclosed storage like a shed or garage + gasoline vapor = recipe for disaster.

I’ve been storing boats/motorcycles/atv’s/power equipment and other misc seasonal stuff for years. 9/10ths full, stabil, fresh oil, wash down, fog carb if it has a carb. In 15 years I’ve never had something not start right up after the off season.

[/quote]

Touche, even though I’ve never had it happen, always eager to get to the bike during that 45-50degree spring, I edited.

yea… the cold nights are comming. Theres talk about lake-effect comming in soon. Today i finally got a lil motivated.
-sta-bul in the gas tank
-disconnected the gas lines from the engine
-ran the gas out of the engine
-put a coat of wax on the bike (will not remove till the spring)
-removed the battery
-in the garage with the cover on it

good-bye til the spring :tantrum:

[quote=“speedracer18t,post:26,topic:37831"”]

yea… the cold nights are comming. Theres talk about lake-effect comming in soon. Today i finally got a lil motivated.
-sta-bul in the gas tank
-disconnected the gas lines from the engine
-ran the gas out of the engine
-put a coat of wax on the bike (will not remove till the spring)
-removed the battery
-in the garage with the cover on it

good-bye til the spring :tantrum:

[/quote]

wayyyy overkill… stabil… run for 5 minutes… battery tender on battery… cover it… ride it when the weather is nice :wink:

[quote=“Willybeen,post:27,topic:37831"”]

wayyyy overkill… stabil… run for 5 minutes… battery tender on battery… cover it… ride it when the weather is nice :wink:

[/quote]

haha the wax is to keep my fresh paint job looking good. Nothing like seeing a shinny r6 in the spring