The putting your bike away thread. *Updated for Mordak*

Always a sad time ;(

Until next year sweetie, have a good hibernation.

For the noobs:

Minimum “winterizing” procedure.

1. Add stabil fuel saver (directions are on bottle).
  2. Completely fill your gas tank with the correct octane gasoline.
  3. Ride around for 20 minutes or so, so that the stabil mixed gasoline stirs and runs through the gas lines. This will keep your fuel “fresh” over the winter.
  4. Raise rear tire off the ground using a jackstand. Do the front if you have an extra stand. This will protect from flat spots. If you have no stands or pegs, go out and roll the bike into a different position like every 3 weeks, to keep the spot that is touching the ground, fresh.
  5. Connect your battery to a battery tender (like 15 bones from walmart). Or even better, remove your battery and put it inside a heated place with tender connected. Sportbike batteries are around 100 bucks so you want to keep it alive for next season.
  6. Don’t be lazy and clean your bike. Take pic and post in this thread. Cover the bike with a bike cover or a tarp.

Edit: I’ll add a little more.

1. When it gets warm enough to start riding, change your oil/filter. Hopefully you can do this yourself so that you dont have to ride to a shop with all that old oil still in it.
  2. Check to make sure your brakes are tight before riding. Change brake fluid if it’s dirty. Check slack in chain. Tighten if necessary.
    Remember that is the minimum that you should do in order for your bike to start next season without problems.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10957&stc=1&d=1257354436

When i put my bike away… it used to be a sad day…

ride to gas station, add stabil, ride for 20 minutes… park it, battery tender, up on stands… see you in the summer.

not anymore.

this weekend and next week are going to be gorgeous!

Good thing this was about the extent on my “winterizing”, except that battery got pulled out and placed in basement with tender on it.

Luckily I’m lazy and haven’t bother getting anything done for my bike yet, so I can take it out whenever lol

I pulled the motor out so I wouldn’t put so much stress on my frame and tires.

Thats not a bad idea but pillows under the tires would have had the same effect.

Pillows are expensive.

Ryan got a good jump on winter storage this year, he beat us all to it.

<3

lol. Looks like I’ll be doing the same thing. As well as all my fairings.

My pile sits in the garage with the carbs half dismantled.

It took so long to get the bolts of the float bowl covers that I
just never got around to cleaning and readjusting them.

Maybe it will be ready to ride come February or something :frowning:

amazing. lol.

I lol’d cuz I picture you saying it with a boston accent.

My manual says to let 20% air pressure out of the tires for storage…is that necessary? & I only have a rear stand so I hope my front doesn’t get fucked up from sitting a couple months.

COBS*

dont let air OUT of your tires… why would you do that? so they can sit lower on the ground and form flat spots and creases in the tire!!!

idk but I swear to god my 2009 manual says to let 20% air out…I’ll scan it tonight and post pic if you want proof lol

fixed?

Dont give this kid advice. He may sue you for flat spots on his tires.

Also my manual says to change the oil and empty the gas tank for storage. Those procedures are correct I’m assuming.

Never did an oil change on it myself, pretty big noob at it. How hard is it to change on motorcycles? Do I need a front stand too? Or will my rear stand be sufficient? Or is no stand needed?