How important are exhaust heat shields?

So one of the exhaust heat shields on my DD is hanging loose and rattling at every stop. It’s pretty damn annoying but before I yank it off I want to make sure it’s not a big deal. It covers the middle section of the exhaust and part of the muffler. I’ts near the plastic gas tank but there is plenty of room between the tank and the exhaust. Am I good to just yank it off, or should I try to fix it instead? The little plastic fasteners have ripped through the thin metal, apart from some type of epoxy I don’t know how I could rig it back up.

Engineers design cars with them so I’m sure they’re supposed to have them… That said, I’ve removed all of them from my car, lol.

I guess it really depends on where the shield is and the vehicle you’re driving.

You’ll die.

I don’t really know how your shields are held up, but mine are held on by screws that corroded holes through the shield until it was resting on the exhaust. To patched it, I cut large “washers” of roofing fascia to hold them up in place. Personally, I’d try to keep them on if possible because, as was said above, they were put there for a reason.

Just get some sheet metal screws and a cordless drill and presto!

I didnt put my heatshield back on when i put on my header because mothafuckin yolooo

That being said my cavalier had the same problem in the rear behind the drivers door, i had the heat stuff replaced when i took my car to a shop the have the exhaust fixed. It doesn’t really do a lot other than get loose eventually and make noise.

My car has no carpets/insulation and no heatshields. I wouldn’t touch my passenger side floorpans barehanded after driving around for while.

my turbo SHO had no exhaust heat shields on it and it fucking sucked in the summer when you were ripping on it because you feet would get uncomfortably hot