How much can i mill head down?

Hey, anybody know how much i can mill a KAE head down? I was thinking that since i need to pull it and resurface the new one, why not bump the compression a bit. Any ideas will be helpful.

Thanks

good thread on milling head : http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.net/forums/showthread.php?s=582b876e1d527e3419b5cb843412800d&threadid=20611&highlight=shaved+head

I forget exact numbers, but I was going to take 1mm off and didn’t. You can take like 1.5mm I think comfortably I believe. Read that thread tho, someone said how much you can go before pistons hit the valves.

EDIT: 1mm shave will get you 9.25:1 compression, I think highest you can get is 11:1 from shaving.

Philip thanks! I was discussing with my mechanic about the engine type and we didn’t think it was an interferance engine, i guess i’ll just go by nissan specs then.

Thanks again

There is a chemical engineer with a SOHC honda running classified compression levels using a race mixture he himself designed… it’s said to be about 12:1[/quote]
Your kiding me right?

Anyways, I didn’t read FSM, but there many people in states shaving the head to get higher compression on our engines. There is even a company that rebuilds them and bumps compression to 11:1 for you through shaving.

If your going to run higher compression, milling and pistons combo is a better method. If you just want to bump it a little like I was, I doubt the 1mm shave would hurt anything at all.

Your call, might as well experiment if your going to be droping another engine in anyways :smiley:

Anyway, hope everything works out ok.

Andrew.