how the heck do i remove the flywheel

hey guys i have no clue how to get my flywheel off i tried everything just wrenching it the motor will turn over so i put a socket on the crank pulley but the flywheel bolts wont budge any ideas

Make sure you’re using a long enough socket/wrench. They’re on there with about 150ft-lbs of torque from the factory.

When I picked up my flywheel from darian , He had the same problem ,
He had no air tools and engine was on the floor , flywheel was also turning when trying to torque down the bolts .
I believe he used 2 wrench on 2 different bolt . I just cant remember how we got the last one out .
Ask him will tell you how .

Save yourself trouble and invest in either an air compressor/gun or
do what I did; spend $65cad on an electric impact gun.

Removing flywheel (and other hard to remove bolts) have never been
easier with this gun.

Like Mike said make sure you have some sort of breaker bar long enough to allow you to get enough torque needed to crack the bolts loose. When i took mine off i jammed a screw driver between the teeth of the flywheel and the motor to prevent it from turning and had no problems removing it.

grow some balls you skinny bastard. :slight_smile:

You need some italian muscle to take those bitches out.

you clamp it properly against the block, in 2 places at least so that you dont damage/bend anything
and use a long breaker bar and kind of loosen by prying type of motion instead of pushing that way most stress is on the rbeaker bar and not your flywheel/crankshaft

with some creativity you can use a big screwdriver on a tooth on the flywheel wedged between the engine and it wont allow it to spin, just put a 12mm wrench on there with a bigger wrench on the end of it for leverage and heave!

I usually hit the wrench with a hammer, it acts as an impact gun and loosens it right up

In regards to the flywheel bolts, has anyone found a place to buy 12 sided metric sockets? I have a socket that fits the flywheel bolts but it is only a 3/8" drive. I really want to find one in a 1/2" drive.

use an impact gun

if you cant get the bolts to move you could try heating them up with a torch of somekinda…that worked when i got mine

having troubles…

that would explain troubles…

but yeah it was two of us I believe… and wrench and a breaker bar…

wrench for leverage off of a bolt head, and the breaker to loosen another…

the last one was loosend with the help of 2 other bolts that were almost loose

an air gun may have been nice

Hey Gonad, what kind did you get for $65. I’m looking for one but wasn’t sure if the electric ones worked that well.

I’m not sure what famous brand it is but it works and it works wel. :slight_smile:

You can get electric impact guns (go for ones with/around 250lb-ft torque
capacity) from most hardware stores. If you are near Princess Auto, they
carry them as well.

Cool thanx.

if they dont want to break loose, u try tighten them, than loose, tighten, than loose, or you might snap or round the head of the bolt, make sur eyou do it in a star pattern

princess auto has the electric impacts on sale this week for $55. I picked one up thursday.

woahhh i gotta get one!

i had the same problem but with a different nut. it was the axel nut on my tiburon when i was replacing the bearings. what i did is i took my wrench, i had one of those fence posts lying around (dont ask) and i put it on my wrench. hte thing is like 6 ft long and i had myself, my dad and my buddy all hang off it to get it to budge.

moral is, use a big pipe on top of ur wrench to losen it … good luck