Crank Pulley Removal

Hey guys,

Does anyone have a tool that will help me break the big bolt on my crank pulley that i could borrow? or do they have some type of method that would work?

yea, what i do is loosen the bolt off a bit then hit the nut and the pull on the pully with a bar… when the pully moves a bit loosen the bolt more and repeat untill it comes off. its a pain in the ass but i use my impact chisel with pointed end that fits in the bolt head

how do you loseen the bolt without moving the pully?

Impact?

impact gun works great. or just crank down the tension of the belt so its really tight…and then get a friend to hold one of the pullys the belt is attached to… and use a big bar to snap it loose.

well theres no belt on the pulley. and i broke a ratchet trying to get it out. does anyone in the oshawa area have a powerbar i can borrow?

Impact is best. Without one, put it in 5th gear, E-brake on tight, block the wheels and it won’t turn.

Or I have heard of people using a breaker bar against the frame rail and use the torque from the starter motor to crack it loose. I haven’t tried it but it sounds like it might work.

blocks in front and behind wheels, car in fifth gear.

3ft or larger breaker bar.

Mine came off literally in 2 yanks of the breaker bar.

Then you loosen the bolt, get a pulley puller, and get the pulley off.

car is out of the engine guys and transmission is not on it either. what i’m planning to do is put a screwdrive in the teeth of the flywheel and have my dad take a breaker bar and try and crack the bolt

man why in the fuck are you still fucking with this job? do what i said. i’m telling you it works… take an impact gun on the nut and loosen it off.then take an impact chisel with the point on the end. tighten the bolt with your finger till it has about 3 cm of space between it and the pully. then hit the impact on it and repeat unitil its off. ill make u dam video if you need to. and if it really is this much of an issue ill bring up my portable air compressor and tools to take care of this.

LOL, we cant get the bolt to loosen off, and my air compressor coughed on the bolt.

An electric impact gun works very well if you have a shitty compressor or gun. It took mine off in 2 secs. Believe me I tried everything under the sun to get it off, including the terrible screwdriver-in-flywheel idea. Just find a friend with an electric impact gun and doooo it. OR you could always buy the flywheel lock tool from nissan. But, you know…

is there anystore that sells the electric impact your talking about?

I bought an electric impact gun from crappy tire and there wasn’t a nut or bolt it wouln’t loosen when I stripped down my parts car-on sale it was $50 its a half inch electric impact gun

does anyone have one i could borrow before i go buy something i will only use once?

Id lend you mine no problem-however im in gravenhurst…lol…seriously rent 1 for a day…I dont know if crappy tire rents one but last week i rented a spring compressor from them…cost me $100 and when i brought it back i got my $100 back…or i had the option of just keeping it…i think to buy they are regular price $80…really its money well spent or if you havent got the cash im sure you could rent one for half a day pretty cheap at a rental joint

Tired the impact nothing, friend brought over a stronger air impact, nothing, breaker bar with something jamming the flywheel nothing. Any1 have any other ideas?