I'll pay you 20$ if you can take my crank bolt off...

I have an '02 WRX project car I am trying to reset timing on. The crank bolt is a 22mm bolt I know 50,000 ways it won’t come off. 20$ to the first person who can help me get it out before I go crazy ( that will probably be this weekend ). Let me guess there is some magic tool you have,(and I need) well bring it and I’ll hand you 20$.

Regards Sincerely,

DCFJSJ

---------- Post added at 02:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 AM ----------

Buffalo NY

I can’t help you. I just wanted to let you know that, on my phone, your thread title reads as follows; (until I open the thread)

“I’ll pay you 20$ if you can take my crank”

That is all. Good luck to you sir.

I know before I had air tools on my zx2 I was able to position the wrench in a way to use the ignition to break the bolt lose. If you go this rout make sure that your crank turns clockwise when looking at the bolt when the motor is running. Disconnect your spark plugs and fuel pump fuse. Make sure wrench is in a secure position so you won’t fuck shit up. And get in car and give it a quick on off flip of the ignition. Should break the bolt loose. May want to use a breaker bar or craftsman wrench so if you break the wrench it can be replaced. :wink:

Can you drive it?

Are you 21?

Beer.

Beer.

BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER

+1

This. Should be plenty of room up there to get a breaker bar resting on the frame rail. Be sure to protect your radiator in case it slips.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=PBT70865&source=froogle&kw=PBT70865 works really well

So u can get a breaker bar on it but can’t break it loose?

Eat some wheaties or something? Put a pipe on the end of the breaker bar and add a foot of length

---------- Post added at 06:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 AM ----------

I would never use cranking it over to break the bolt loose

Haha
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zu5g95gpqo&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

I had this problem before, tried the largest impact gun money I could find, heat, breaker bars and nothing would budge it. I ended up getting it off with a 5 ft pipe on the end of a 3/4 in breaker bar.

+2

Big ass pipe

I have a 8’ length of EMT conduit that I use for special occasions. Used to do rig shots with it but I find it to be more useful as a breaker bar.

if you really need someone to help I’ll bring it over for $20 worth of beer

thread title win

beer win

win

If you properly tension the breaker bar I don’t see the problem I did watch a forum member do this and smash the sub frame of his car

You should be able to take a crappy small/regular breaker bar; torque it as best you can muster, and use a mallet on it to create enough torque to break the bolt loose. Trying to do it without this method (AKA using a super long breaker bar w/ extention) will end disastrously.

That’s how I do it on my bish’s. This works so well that I can take the harmonic balancer bolt out with the engine on the stand.

OTHERWISE, grab a impact gun and compressor.

The last car i did a timing belt on (1995 Camry) my weak impact gun would not get the bolt loose. I used a bit of heat to “loosen” up the bolt and it turned right out with the same weak impact.

This is what i used to heat up the bolt enough. A regular propane would take a LONG time to heat up. Using it i think i left the flame on the bolt head… for like 10min it started to glow.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmXhPJNEin-xj29qrVYE3ax6B3YOF8D4EGO9fY8pcUv10q9hnC

I also find that heat works GREAT on getting other bolts loose on my 04 Forester that is not normally needed on other cars that i have serviced.

Or man up and buy the special tool to hold the crank pully still while you stand on the breaker bar and bolt.

GL!

I don’t think you’re supposed to heat a harmonic balancer like that.

Probably not. With the intense heat your time heating up the surrounding area is less. I kept a wet rag and a spray bottle on the area so that my heat was more localized to the bolt. I was as careful as i could be wile still getting the job done.

Get a compressor and ill bring this over for you to use [ATTACH]22900[/ATTACH] 1100 break away tq should do it. (I also have a snap on impact universal if its tight in there)