Need help with my moms Subie

Car: 2002 Subaru Legacy L
Mileage: ~110,000
Problem: Dad was driving last night with my mom from Cohoes yesterday and the car shuddered, jerked, and made a noise then proceeded to shut off while he was under the I-90/I-787 interchange.

I went out there with the battery charger and some tools. I figured I’d take the charger and connect it to see if the car would start, thinking maybe the alternator died and the battery has been dead? Grasp at a straw, I know.

Regardless, that wasn’t the issue. The Tranny fluid was low, but I do not think that would cause the car to shut off.

Upon trying to start the car on the side of the road, the car cranked, but it was a very interesting sound. You could see/hear the alternator spinning, but it didn’t seem like the motor was trying to start. The sound it made was kind of like a rubbing sound…not really sure how else to explain it. I did not seem like the motor itself was actually cranking. All of the belts on the front of the motor were spinning. Me and my dad think it’s the timing belt after conferring with my brother-in-law in Philadelphia who owns a bodyshop/does some mechanics work on the side.

Is our diagnosis correct? We’re going to be tearing it apart today after we both get home from our jobs, so it would help to know (since some of you have subies) if that is the likely issue.

My car has a Timing Chain, so this isn’t something I’ll probably ever experience.

Thanks! I appreciate any opinion!

Bring a fire extinguisher.

:rofl :rofl

i’ve done plenty of timing belts on those boxer subarus, but never one that had already broken. They are cake to do, make sure you get a OEM belt though, the one time i had to get aftermarket it didn’t fit properly and had to return it and get OEM. Fucking people don’t listen.

Anyway, does it sound like you’re cranking it with the spark plugs out? like a real fast rrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Like you can’t “hear” the compression?

Uhm…yes. It’s like a wooshhhhh wooooshhhhh sound almost…like metal on metal rubbing/sanding. I dunno, I hate describing car sounds on a forum. lol. It’s hard.

I’ll let my dad know to get an OEM belt.

Sounds like it to me… If the belts are spinning then the crank is moving but if it doesnt sound like its trying to fire and its making an “odd” noise then it sounds like thats the case

fucking take a vid real quick and youtube it. then i can tell you better.

I’m not home and I don’t have a camera right now that can take video (got rid of my Point and Shoot canon…my XTi doesn’t take video).

pthththth figures. where is the car now? is anyone at your house?

It’s in Selkirk at home (I have a full garage with lift, tools, etc.). We had it towed by Dotts Garage (Central Ave.) who by the way did a very nice and quick job. Kudos to them. $190 was a bit higher than I wanted, but hey, we had to get it home. We figured bringing it to our home would be better than taking it to my brothers (who’s in Cohoes and closer - meaning less tow $$).

oh shit. that should be cake for you guys then. should only take a few hours. pull the cam cover off and have a look see.

We’re planning to follow the Haynes manual. Should that be sufficient?

yea, fuck, you don’t even need one. those things are rediculously easy. just double check all the timing marks with the book and you’ll be fine. hopefully if it did snap, it didn’t fuck up the valves etc. could go either way.

Okay. I guess we’ll find out.

if you guys decide you’re in over your head give me a call and i’ll come and get that shit DONE.

Okay. We should be able to handle it. We’ve done everything else on our own cars from power steering racks, transmissions, etc. Thanks for the offer Wayne.

Waynes good shit

He’s also the human torque wrench :lol

Wayne… whats the hourly rate to rent you for torquing puproses? I need to make sure my rear end never falls again!

haha. If we do need to call you Wayne, how much would you probably want to finish the job. Just wondering.

no idea, depends how far in you get and what exactly you need me for. keep me posted on how it goes, and if you have questions don’t hesitate to call. advice = free.

Good man, to many people try to bullshit you so they have to come over and then are like okay pay me thissssss

:thumbup