I'll pay you 20$ if you can take my crank bolt off...

:drool: 1100 should work!

Whats “funny” is that the bolts are torqued to about 180-200ft-lbs and the impact that i have is “rated” to 350ft-lbs and didn’t do anything to the bolt in place.

If you can supply the air ill be glad to help ya out.

When I was doing a lot of timing belts on older 4-cylinder Volvo’s 15 years ago, this was standard practice. Never really used anything else, but a quick bump of the starter. Worked instantly, first time, every time.

Wile i’ve never done it, i’ve heard of doing this from many different people. I would do it if i had to. But when i did my Prelude’s TB i just made up a custom tool to hold the crank pulley still. I made it out of a large nut and some square tubing. Worked GREAT!

Put the car in 5th gear. Have a friend sit in the car with the ebrake on AND stepping hard on the brake pedal.

Use whatever size socket you need. I think it is 7/8 on my STI. Make sure it is a 6 sided socket as the 12 sided tend to strip bolts. Use a large breaker bar and put another bar on top of that. I usually use the handle to my jack as it can be removed. Put alot of torque on it and it should come loose. I can do it myself with someone holding the brakes. If not, get a 3rd friend to put some more torque on the bar.

I NEVER use cranking an engine to try and get a bolt loose. That just sounds like a bad idea to me.

This method.
http://www.hspn.tv/?videoid=65

Unless he takes off the radiator/condenser, you cant really get an impact gun in there with a socket on it. There’s not a lot of room up there in these cars.

Breaker bar and hit the starter… Cake on subarus

Just a FYI this probably won’t work. Just bump the starter with a breaker bar. You should be done already

Did this for the timing on my 'Roo. Set up the breaker bar so it would impact the ground. Just pull the plugs and just quickly bump the starter. It doesn’t take much. The whole process will take a minute or two instead of fighting with it forever.

Have a snap-on impact universal with nice extensions and plenty of 6 pt sockets .

And now you’re reducing torque drastically

Wouldn’t say drastically more like 100-200 lbs lol don’t doubt the tool until you own and use it everyday like I do.

Really? I own the same exact impact gun and work on cars every day.

I saw on a forum, some guy just mig welded some steel stock in the shape of the bolt to like an 8 ft steel bar and I guess it came off with no effort lol.
Most important thing is leverage

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

This!!! Just used this method last week.

Yes really lol so you own the brand new magnesium gun?

I have the mg725 1/2 inch I also have a mg1200 3/4 but it’s being rebuilt

Oic

Yeah wow thanks for all the responses, i have tried every method I could find. First let me say I have a 22m impact socket on a 24" breaker bar with a 48" Bike Bar Pipe Bender as my cheater pipe, places the car in 3rd brakes pressed with all my might and the crank turns counterclockwise not good for the Scooby so then even tried pulling the fuses and bumping loose the bolt using the starter method. There is only 11" of room for an impact and my compressor was stolen when i was out of town. I bought map gas and a new burner so today is hopefully the day but if anyone wants a beer feel free to swing by and watch the untorqueable bolt stay on even when I throw the kitchen sink at it.

I’m telling you… use the mallet and breaker bar trick.

If I can do it on the engine stand, you can certainly do it whilst the engine is in the car…