how to build a super quiet exhaust?

This is my next project and i just don’t want a “stock” S13 exhaust, i don’t like anything stock.

I was thinking if i got my hands on a decent size used Mercedes or BMW etc muffler that would help get the tone down and maybe give it a very different growl. The real growl will come from the cutout :wink:

So any ideas on what parts(cat/resonator/muffler) to use to make this exhaust? Size? mandrel bent or crush? dual 1 1/2 pipes all the way from the cat back? just modify the stock cat back? the sky’s the limit boys.

2 to 2 1/14" mandrel bent, never accept crush bends on anything. I wouldn’t use any OEM muffler, since they’re too restrictive. Just get a high quality aftermarket one. If you want it to be even quieter, add another resonator to it.

you should make it sound like a G35

(Y)

if he does, i want a copy

Ive tried using multiple resonators in the past and the difference is hardly noticeable. IMO it made it the slightest bit deeper.

So if theres a way to not be so restrictive but like oem at the same time id be all over it. If not restrictive is the way im going. I don’t need strait threw power…i don’t even know what drifting is.

Hmm…i do want a high end oem muffler off a G35 or something ridiculous, this could be pretty interesting. I might even try running dual mufflers behind my bumper…i don’t want any tips visible so it could look like a maze.

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/4363/dsc00339hc7.jpg

the only way ur get’n a g35 sound, is dropn a g35 motor in it. v6 and 4 cyl’s will never sound the same

I’ve got a custom made muffler/silencer and my car is extremely quiet under 3500rpm. So city driving around town I never get looks from the cops (even if their directly beside or behind me) and I’ve never once got a ticket or even a warning for it.

I personally find with exhaust sounds or tones you can never get what you want. Its either quiet @ lower speeds and loud @ high speeds while maintaining some power/flow or its super quiet all the time and restrictive.

I agree 110% it will never sound like a G35. I can get a G35 sedan muffler…does anyone know if those sound identical to the coupe?

Id rather my car be restrictive than any more than 10% louder than stock vs a the typical 3" turbo back. I going to run a electric cutout going this route that ill let out threw a smaller resonator to cut down the raspy noise a bit.

run a 2.5 inch mendral bent as a dual outlet exhuast and put a H pipe in it it makes mustangs sound better

Trying dual will be pretty hard a had a friend who did try,your gas tank gets in the way …but maybe you can find a way lol

yeah but he doesn`t want it to come out the rear or any where for that matter

my buddys sellin his g coupe exhaust pm if interested

A G coupe exhaust would never fit on a 240SX, or even the muffler for that matter. I was gonna explain why, but I took pics instead:
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4168/img6938ma8.jpg
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3873/img6939ec5.jpg
Also, putting on the exhaust or muffler won’t make the car sound like a G35, because even a G35 running an HKS true dual, which has no similarities with the OEM exhaust, still sounds like a G35, just more pissed off.

Never say it cant be done Solarian!

Time, money with patience and anything can be done.

Thats a nice big muffler i may be able to work with it, im going to get some dimensions. I can re-route all the in/outs of the muffler to work. Worst case it sounds…“normal” but all im trying to do is shut her up. If it sounds anything nicer than a stock muffler bonus!

as far as sounding like a “G” prob not happening

wadda bought the nissan titan muffler if it’s designed to work and flow for a
large v8 then it will definatly work for most 4 cylinders actually any oem exhaust system that has to work with a large engine and single pipe definatly has to flow. . . . . but i ain’t rich enuff to tink like dat! i’m a “B” vut! vut!

that would be soooooo sick an exhaust that silent but DEADLY
yeeeh boyiie LOL

4 years ago, On my Ol’ 91 TSi talon i once used a muffler off of some old FORD Bronco Or somthing. it was 3in IN 3in OUT (3in pipe from turbo)and flowed VERY well. all i heard was turbo spool…

…i later got bored of it and sawzal’ed it off…

VERY quiet

That’s true, but it may be more trouble than it’s worth. The reason why my car can accomodate such a large muffler, is because the gas tank and spare tire well are in different places than the S13. If you were to try and mount it there, you’d bump into the tank. You could close off one of the outlets and turn the muffler 90 degrees so it’s sitting longitudinally where the stock muffler sits. That may do the trick, but it’s still a very big muffler.

for silence wise… maybe a greddy would suffice… the newer set-ups are low rumble actually very inaudible until about 4K. unde4r acceleration they SCREAM but drop back down to quite when your done.

now that to me is deadly… very quiet then load aS SHIT… then quiet