Tips on quiet exhausts?

What products or methods do you guys have for building sleeper/stock like exhausts?

What’s a good size piping diameter to keep the car oem quiet or quieter if thats possible?

Will running two same average size mufflers make a difference over running one?

What methods have you heard work really well to sound deaden the interior other than dynomat and doubling up on under padding under the carpet?

Your opinions and ideas are greatly appreciated :slight_smile: thanks in advance guys.

Ps and E-cutout will be being used with this setup :smiley:

happy240sx’s exhaust is where its at!

http://www.u2ndyno.com/gallery/Project%20S14%202008/o_Downpipe.jpg

http://www.u2ndyno.com/gallery/Project%20S14%202008/o_eCut.jpg

http://www.u2ndyno.com/gallery/Project%20S14%202008/o_Dump%20Tube.jpg

When closed, the system runs through 2.5" piping that is catted, resonated and mufflered.

http://www.u2ndyno.com/gallery/Project%20S14%202008/o_Downpipe%20and%20Dump.jpg

Open vs.closed with gt2871r .64 at 15psi

http://www.u2ndyno.com/gallery/Project%20S14%202008/o_SR20DET%20GT2871R%20SM4.jpg

varex

^ That’s awesome

dan say u went to 3" back. would there be a big hp/torq pick up? or minimal gains?

that xforce shit was awesome sound stock or powerfull at the track

Australian innovation I’m guessing, with the simplicity :wink:

Both on a KA and an SR and even catless, it has been proven there are major gains… however would you live with the noise is the question that’s all.

Edit:

Honestly I got a KA with a BRM exhaust with 2.5" ss piping with a 22" resonator, dual tip muffler and a catco high flow cat… to tell you the truth its pretty damn loud still… its still damn loud… but i think it may be due to the engine, tranny and even exhaust mounts that ive put (all solid basically). I’ll have to double check for any leaks if any however… we havent noticed any (tried to hold cigarette next to exhaust to see how the smoke flows LOL ghetto test but hey…)

Ah well… havent seen my car in months now… its probably very dusty in storage… but yea… its pretty loud. nothing better than stock exhaust if you want quietness. I still love it… its just i dont want attention. Wife hates it, she thinks the car is scary all the time lmao.

correct me if im wrong, but forced induction reduces alot of sound that is if your going turbo if not, big resonator a cat and a muffler known not to be loud ie hks, rsr etc

I have full 3" apexi turbo-back exhaust, test-pipe (no cat), the system comes with a resonator and tilted N1 muffler. its not really loud unless i want it to be. when im just cruisin around keepn the rpms low, shifting at like 3k its just a low rumble. i’ve been pulled over several times and driven past hundreds of cops and ive never been bothered about my exhaust. they’ve just asked why its on an angle like that lol. i’d recomend it to anyone that want to keep sound down to a reasonable level without sacraficing performance. but on the other hand, it definatly turns heads and sets off alarms when i give it hell without the classic “rapsy” 4-cylinder sound. its definatly worth every penny. i got mine from varun for a very reasonable price. contact him for more info

my $0.02

With my 3" Catback, XS Power Exhaust, I noticed and felt considerable power gains throughout the powerband but noticeably in the mid-high range, the KA is different from most 4cylinder motors since they actually run best with 3" rather than the 2.5" limit many cars with N/A engines advise.

It actually depends on the exhaust, but my exhaust just sounds like a variable decibel exhaust haha. Since, if I’m cruising under 3000rpm, it’s a nice deep rumbly tone that is on par with the sounds of say an infiniti or 350z at some throttle but when I rip it then it’s a harsh deep banshee growl with some popping in between! :wink:

Wow, I dont think you guys are helping Deevo out. He’s asking whats the best SILENT exhaust, not “what exhaust do you have? And how loud is it?” rofl.

To get back on topic, I’ve heard that one of Blitz’s exhaust’s with a silencer is really good.(IIRC) I’ll get back to you on that.

As for the loud exhaust systems … I can’t wait to throw on the Megan Drift spec. (3inch) muhahaha

kk thnx bye.

LOL my exhaust sounds like it’s raping a llama when it gets past 5k.

This is what my exhaust SHOULD sound like (same exact setup):

I think this guy doesn’t have an intake though, plus no crazy engine/tranny/exhaust mounts like mine does. And I removed the top and side chain guides on my KA… maybe that makes her louder… running 10w40 but still a rough sucker sigh… truck luvin.

^wow mine sounds like a honda lmao

Dans setup is what I had in mind, I’ve talked to you in the past about which cutout to go with. If I’m going for quiet would you sujest 2.5"?

Me personally I’m thinking 2.25 piping with an oem acura/Honda muffer from a v6 car

should any oem muffler desgned for use on a bigger engine with a single outlet work, ie like titan or something similar cause that shit would flow like crazy and still be quite.

The only cutouts I’d recomend are Quicktime or DMH. both are electronic and both seem to seal pretty well. I’ve been running a DMH for 3-4 years and while I have replaced a few due to motor failure, they have always replaced them free of charge because they have a 4 year warrenty.