How to Destroy a Clutch - by TurboLS1

400 plus the GV OD would be a more logical choice …

if you spank the 4l80 … your down and out for a while

you spank the GV OD … just disconnect it and run 3 speed

http://www.performabuilt.com/GMCars042008.html Gear Vendor OD units are $2000+ alone

I doubt the OD is going to break before TH400 you’re not going WOT and clicking on the OD.

4l80e with the biggest tranny cooler you can find

uggggh

FAWK

Put a th400 in it and call it a day. F#$*CK OD

nahhh stick with the T56, no pun intended. I wanna see how fast this car will go with a 6 speed!

You could have a nasty th400 for under a grand, and a converter for another $500-$750. It will last years and be consistent, and a hell of a lot of fun believe it or not. You will lose overdrive, true, but cruising with those big tires you have shouldn’t be too bad. You’d probably be running 2500rpm going 65ish.

Comp Trans will suggest a th400, i’ll bet money on that.

video?

If its a car you still enjoy driving on the street, I’d say stick with the T-56. If your plans are changing and want the drag monster, full cage and auto sign ups require the deposit of your man card :mamoru:

I never had a problem in a 3300lb monte carlo.

Off topic, glides came in all the huge 6000lb big block cars in the 60s.
I dont think weight will be a huge issue.

DING DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Like you said, Bill. That’s a ton of TQ going through the drive train. Every time that clutch clamps down its shocking everything in it and is only a matter of time before something brakes.

That’s why huge HP guys run autos. I know, i love my manual too but, there’s something to be said about the dampening that a TQ converter provides that will not destroy things. With that kinda power the mechanical connection of a clutch and manual trany is just too much. If it wasn’t the clutch it would have been something else.

He’s the man to ask. Dave has never steered me wrong.
Th400 and a gear vendor would be kick ass, wish i had the extra funds to put a GV behind my car. Carl built me a th350 for like 475 said it would be bullit proof and would last behind a big block too. i think i paid him another 500 for a converter(3500). I’ve always been happy with them. Dave even stuck around late on a friday to finish so i could go to olcott for a cruise the next day

I understand that but I assume powerglide would perform better in a car that weighs less vs a heavier car with a th400.

bye bye already ridiculous gas mileage… so much for 6th gear.

What 5 speed? If you mean the T56 6 speed, yes, you can. That same night, John pulled them about 8" or so.

Bill, auto would be awesome for consistency, and you’ll get your 9’s, but you will hate the car. Auto is fun for drag, boring for EVERYTHING else!

thats sucks bill. but it makes seance, I didn’t know what was going on when you said it was stuck if it still have fluid, and pedal. are the rivets still tight, or there loose now?
what did they say about the material ripping off??? heat damage?

whats with the finish on the crank? was the flywheel loose, is looks like somthing was up with that?

I think with like 800whp and a performance built auto, it should still be plenty fun.

TH400 would make it easier as you wouldnt need a trans controlled ecu.

i havent checked the truck out in a while but i thought parrish only had a shift kit and minor mods in the 4l80e to handle 1000whp. last i checked he didnt have much in the trans but it was a few years back.

4l80e with a trans controller that gave you full control (i dont know whats possible with the stock ecu) like the megashift box that those megasquirt crazies have been working on would be cool. just dont boost in overdrive. that should be an easy rule to follow and you could work up some logic to determine whether the trans is in OD and then would severely limit boost. plus steering wheel buttons would be nice so both hands can stay on the wheel when the insanity hits for safety. :slight_smile:

Brian

http://www.rosslertrans.com/