How to Destroy a Clutch - by TurboLS1

I was more impressed Sunday on how fast you ripped that tranny out.

Wow, what did that used too be? A McLeod Street Twin?

Will this bolt up to an LS block?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-Chevy-Silverado-Allison-Transmission-Sierra-6-6-4x4_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1171Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem56326dfcc5QQitemZ370213256389QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The bolded part is wrong. I have a T56 f-bod and a manual valve body auto f-bod. You still have to shift the auto, though there is no clutch, so you still get some sense of control. In ANY sort of heavy traffic or slow traffic situation the T56 car is simply a pain in the ass, and gets rather annoying. Try having a bottle of Pepsi or whatever when you are driving the stick car in traffic. Go look at the cost too. grenade a T56 and you are out $1000. Grenade a th400 or th350 and it can be rebuilt for $300-$400. Put in a $800 converter and run it hard for 5 years. Put in a $800 clutch, and it MIGHT last a season.

:tup:

You’re fucking up the prices…Built TH400 for 1000hp, Manual valve body and a GOOD convertor is more then you listed out…

Check out Rossler http://www.rosslertrans.com/Th400%20options2.htm

I realize Carl at comptrans is cheaper but you still will pay more then $400 for a transmission built for Bills car.

I realize people run junk yard TH400s with upgraded clutch packs but most of time this isn’t on 800+ HP cars that weigh 3600+lbs

I said REBUILD fucking retard. Meaning if you are currently running a th400 and you break it. Auto trannies are very cheap to rebuild.

What the fuck do you personally know about anything anyways? You are an internet bench racing sensation, googling car terms all over the net.

Uh you realize I have made more 10sec passes in fox bodys with C4s and 4th gens with TH400s then you ever have? I spent over a year in Texas at the track at least 2 times a week racing/working on friends cars. Back on topic

Yes the rebuild for a Th400 is cheap assuming you don’t kill any hard parts…You’re still going to need to refresh it ever year or couple years depending on how much tracking you do…

In the end it all comes down to what do you want to with the car…Take the sticky tires off and fuck around on the street…or throw sticky tires on and run some great track times.

Oh, how did I forget. You are a king wheelman. Oh please. You never drove dick down there. Maybe just maybe they tossed you a used spark plug so you could feel like part of the "team". You probably annoyed the fuck out of whomever's nuts you were sucking off down there, just like you do up here.

Ask dpm90iroc how long they last. He goes to the track every now and then. I’m guessing he’s pretty hard on parts :slight_smile: .My th350 was $695 including the $125 core fee. The th400 was $125 or $150 more, still well under $1000.

Please do us all a favor and get some first hand knowledge. You chime in here about powerglides a few posts back. You wouldn’t know a powerglide if it was sitiing in front of you. All you know is that on some top-whatever list on your holy-fabled “LS1tech”, one or 2 light cars run it, though you have no idea why.

There you go bill $1000 for a bullet proof tranny that will handle when you turn up the boost. :tup:

well i need to get through all these posts and answer a few pm’s, but before i get into my work here, i will say that i talked to carl again yesterday and he said i was going to be about $1925 for the th400/converter built for my setup + whatever options. i forgot to tell him i have a solid core, but that is probably minimal. i don’t know, im thinking about it, i refuse to put in a $1600 clutch every year + other shit that breaks… this would be a big relief on the DT

Just my .02. I yanked my t56 out after blowing it up and put in a TH350 with a reverse manual valve body. On day 2, I was sick of the car. I could not take it anywhere without spinning it to 3500rpms at 65 mph with 3.42 gears. I hated driving it on the highway and it took ALL the fun out of it. I would strongly suggest a 4L80E or a TH400 with a gear vendors overdrive. Just make sure you get a 4th gear so you can actually drive it on the highway.

sdpfgnosdfngsdfgjndmkbs

lol. AHHHH

i can’t make up my mind. im thinking about going TH400 now then adding the OD later when i have some extra cash.

fwiw, with my 28" tires and 3.42 gears, i should be:

49mph @ 2000rpms
61mph @ 2500rpms
73mph @ 3000rpms
85mph @ 3500rpms

quite honestly, i don’t find myself on the highway much at all anymore… i need to drive my dads monte carlo around tonight to help make up my mind.

No idea what you did here? Is this automatic lingo?

I just hope you don’t hot lap this new auto like you did the t-56 to clow that clutch. Hope you get a good tranny cooler too

I hope so to. I’m sure he was hot lapping his 800rwhp car with a stick dropping it off the 2-step at 7000rpms like the end of a PINKS all out episode. Hopefully he won the 2 out 3.

WTF

Why do you keep bringing this up?

This thread is getting cleaned up in a second. Guys this is Gen Auto if the bickering is relevant to what turbo is trying to do then whatever but some of this is highly unnecessary.

brian, you are starting to fucking piss me off, like you do to everyone else. shut the fuck up. focus on trying to get your car out of the 13’s before you give me advice :wink:

that is billisfrustratedhetookhiscartoofarandstillwantstokeepitastreetcarbutwantstotakeittothetrackcarbecauseitstoostupidforthestreetbutbreaksthingswithhist56andmotherfucker lingo

If the manual is breaking shit left and right, it’s a no-brainer. Either detune (yeah. haha) or go with the slushbox. What if it’s the crank that goes next?

HAHAHAHAHAHA Brutal, but I love it. It reminds me of something one of your other friends would say…ME!