How to Destroy a Clutch - by TurboLS1

It’s all clear to me now. Thanks Bill. Good luck in whatever you decide.

keep the t56.Build the auto and swap them. You dont ever need to save money lol.

im actually trying to think of a way to do that… just in case

Keep the T56. Compare the times your gonna go race at a track to the number of times your just gonna go cruise the car. You said from the beginning your not building a drag car… Can’t have your cake and eat it to. :banghead:

the thing is i barely cruise anymore, and when i do its usually at speeds <55. i am gearing more towards the track to get my WOT on for various reasons. I WILL still drive the car on the street… but it’s reduced down to an after work/weekend/nice day warrior. my truck is just more comfortable/easy to get around in when im at work. plus im on the road a lot for work…

i think it is the smart way to go… and i don’t think it will cause me to hate the car by any means… i need to drive a th400 or comparable car to get the feeling

Or you could put the auto in and leave the clutch pedal.That way you feel special when you manually shift it

i know somebody who did that, LOL

so84ta did it in his s10.

Dude you’ll like the auto trust me… the 68,69, joenova and justin all have autos. You wont have to worry about them breaking and the car will be faster :wink:

If money is the reason, I totally agree with you, but for just pure fun driving, I would deal with the difficulty to drink a bottle of pepsi and rock the manual :eekdance:

you probably need an auto, if you close the cutout for normal driving it probalby won’t be too bad at higher RPM’s.

going to need more cage

FAWK

I think he wants to just run open no cutout.

meh. i thought u were trying to do that fastest t56 thing or whatever

So i have a question, how come you can pop wheelies with an auto and a stall, but u “can’t” with a t56 and 2step? Or am i just understanding wrong

You are understanding it wrong. Plenty of manual cars do wheel stands. Mine would hang them over a foot up. On a much more related note a wheel stand is not really the best thing for trying to get down the track and I have seen many a 1.2-1.3 60ft that hardly yank a wheel.

Fuck going auto. Find out what/why failed on the clutch, its not the “t56s” fault. How many miles did you have on it. A few 1.55 isn’t all a clutch should last. I already have 750miles and 15+ 6500 launches, it should last 10 times that. Post the JT vids of what it was doing, and the clutch burnout. Was it installed to what the clutch company wanted? What did they say about the pics? Were was the catch point, and did it move (start to raise) right before it starting slipping, and did that clutch burnout.

Clutch was fine. Yes it was installed to spec. Your car and my car are two different things by about 450ftlb and 400lbs, so there is no use comparing. This was the best clutch I ever had, it just wasn’t meant for what I was doing. I reinstalled it this year and it was shimmed perfectly to spec which was something like .025" between discs.

And yes, manual transmissions produce a lot of shock through a drivetrain… I’m sick of tossing $1500 parts at the car like it was water. I just want to put one thing in and be done with it.

What about stepping it up to something like a Quartermaster, Tilton or an Ace?

quartermaster ftw :tup:
i have one in my evo and it its super small and holds over 800 ft/lbs of torque
they make some good stuff, and their sales/service is phenomenal along with their quality
ask jay about my clutch, he saw it last night

While my opinion may not be worth much I say go for the auto. Properly built, I think they can be rather enjoyable. I find it amusing that people are trying to say you’d get bored driving an 800rwhp car that was an auto…

There simply comes a point in time when a manual trans simply isn’t the most ideal part to run, and it sounds like you’ve reached that point to me.